function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dyn1dyn1 

learn apex

Hello,

i have a short question. What is the best way to learn apex?

I know how to programme php, js and stuff like that and to save time i wanted to ask you what you think is the fastest way.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
aKallNVaKallNV

I started from the very begining. I had never programmed when I started with Apex about 4 yrs ago...I knew nothing. So, I started by reading SFDC's docs about Apex....the Cookbook, Developer guide etc, which you will find on this site. This was challenging because it was all written for an audience that already knew object-oriented programming. One thing the docs said was that Apex was a lot like Java. So I found Java books targeted at beginners, and that is where I really started. 

Once I learned some things with the Java books, I started playing around with Execute Anonymous scripts in Ecplise...don't try this with a production org, just Sandbox or develper orgs.

After getting a feel for that I took the advanced developer class, but this was challenging because again it was taught with the assumption that I had worked with Java. I've noticed that they now offer an Apex class for total beginners.

I think that 'Development with the Force.com Platform' is a great book. I would reccommend starting there since you already know some other languages.

All Answers

aKallNVaKallNV

I started from the very begining. I had never programmed when I started with Apex about 4 yrs ago...I knew nothing. So, I started by reading SFDC's docs about Apex....the Cookbook, Developer guide etc, which you will find on this site. This was challenging because it was all written for an audience that already knew object-oriented programming. One thing the docs said was that Apex was a lot like Java. So I found Java books targeted at beginners, and that is where I really started. 

Once I learned some things with the Java books, I started playing around with Execute Anonymous scripts in Ecplise...don't try this with a production org, just Sandbox or develper orgs.

After getting a feel for that I took the advanced developer class, but this was challenging because again it was taught with the assumption that I had worked with Java. I've noticed that they now offer an Apex class for total beginners.

I think that 'Development with the Force.com Platform' is a great book. I would reccommend starting there since you already know some other languages.

This was selected as the best answer
dyn1dyn1

okay and can i learn apex with that without having knowledge about java?

aKallNVaKallNV

I would say yes because there is a whole section devoted to Object-Oriented concepts and how they apply to Apex.