function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
LinusLinus 

Have to learn Apex(?), help is very appreciated!

Hi all,

I started using SFDC four months ago when I took over from a consultant at my org with 10-15 users. I am Starting to get a good feel of how things work and I administer everything from marketing campaigns, reports and dashboards, sales processes, customer support etc.

I had a request from the support dpt that they want to see support contract information at each case record. We have a custom object called agreements, where support contract information such as guaranteed response time are stored.

When a new case is created, this is what is needed to be done:

- check if a support contract for that account exists (done with a roll-up summary field at account level, and field update workflow to the case record)

- publish a link to the agreement record (this is now a look-up, but I need a solution without any user action)

- post the guaranteed response time from that agreement record, to a custom field on the case record.

I tried to do everything via the account object, but it just doesent make sense. Especially if more than one agreement exists for each account, which is not uncommon.

Is learning Apex triggers the way to go? Where do I start? I have been taking some java courses in uni about 2-3 years ago, but my skills are very limited as I haven't used it since... 

Thank you for your time,

Linus

jkucerajkucera

Yes - typically any time you need to check one object and do something on another, you need code, and triggers are good way to go.

This is a great place to learn about Triggers:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/workbook/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content/apex_1.htm

I recommend starting basic, add 1 line at a time, and test to build up bit by bit.