function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ZimmerZimmer 

Null Check and Task WhoID

I am writing a trigger to update a duration field on the lead, after the first sales activity is logged under a lead.

I had the code working in the sandbox and deployed to production.  I started getting the dreaded referencing a null object error on this statement.

string.valueOf(newTask.WhoId).startsWith('00Q')

so i added the null check in front of it.  Now I am no longer getting the error but my code not populating the field on the lead record anymore.  It is almost as if the null check is booting all records and non get to the internal if's.

Thoughts?  I have copied my entire code as it exists right now below.

Phil

trigger ActivityFirstContact on Task (after insert) {

List<Lead> updatedLeads= new List<Lead>(); Datetime d = datetime.newInstance(2011, 8, 10); for(Task newTask:Trigger.new){ boolean notmarketuser = TRUE; if (newTask.Created_By_Role__c.contains('Marketing')) notmarketuser = FALSE; if(newTask.WhoID != NULL){ if(string.valueOf(newTask.WhoId).startsWith('00Q') &&
newTask.Subject != 'Lead Source Details' && notmarketuser) { Lead changedLead = [select id, First_Contact_Number__c, CreatedDate from lead where id=:NewTask.WhoId]; if(changedLead.CreatedDate > d && changedLead.First_Contact_Number__c==NULL) { changedLead.First_Contact_Number__c= decimal.valueof((newTask.CreatedDate.getTime()-changedLead.CreatedDate.getTime()))/(1000*60*60); updatedLeads.add(changedLead); } } } } update updatedLeads; }

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
ZimmerZimmer

@MikeGill thank you for the help but that did not seem to solve the problem.

It ends up that my code was correct I have inactivated the rule before testing.  Stupid mistake.

So the code in my previous message works.  I also added a null check on the line

newTask.Created_By_Role__c.contains('Marketing')

Somehow I was getting the null reference error there also.  Im not sure how a task can be created without a created by role, but I guess it is possible.

List<Lead> updatedLeads= new List<Lead>();
	Datetime d = datetime.newInstance(2011, 8, 10);
  for(Task newTask:Trigger.new){
		boolean notmarketuser = TRUE;
		if(newTask.Created_By_Role__c != NULL){
        	if (newTask.Created_By_Role__c.contains('Marketing'))
        		notmarketuser = FALSE; 	 
		}
		if(newTask.WhoId != NULL){
        if(string.valueOf(newTask.WhoId).startsWith('00Q') && newTask.Subject != 'Lead Source Details' && notmarketuser)
            {
           Lead changedLead = [select id,  First_Contact_Number__c, CreatedDate from lead where id=:NewTask.WhoId];
               		if(changedLead.CreatedDate > d && changedLead.First_Contact_Number__c==NULL)
               		{
                 changedLead.First_Contact_Number__c= decimal.valueof((newTask.CreatedDate.getTime()-changedLead.CreatedDate.getTime()))/(1000*60*60);
                   updatedLeads.add(changedLead);
                   }
        	}
       }
  }
      update updatedLeads;
}

Phil

All Answers

MikeGillMikeGill

May be try this

String whoId = newTask.WhoId;

String isLead = whoId.substring(0,2); 

if(isLead == '00Q' && 

ZimmerZimmer

@MikeGill thank you for the help but that did not seem to solve the problem.

It ends up that my code was correct I have inactivated the rule before testing.  Stupid mistake.

So the code in my previous message works.  I also added a null check on the line

newTask.Created_By_Role__c.contains('Marketing')

Somehow I was getting the null reference error there also.  Im not sure how a task can be created without a created by role, but I guess it is possible.

List<Lead> updatedLeads= new List<Lead>();
	Datetime d = datetime.newInstance(2011, 8, 10);
  for(Task newTask:Trigger.new){
		boolean notmarketuser = TRUE;
		if(newTask.Created_By_Role__c != NULL){
        	if (newTask.Created_By_Role__c.contains('Marketing'))
        		notmarketuser = FALSE; 	 
		}
		if(newTask.WhoId != NULL){
        if(string.valueOf(newTask.WhoId).startsWith('00Q') && newTask.Subject != 'Lead Source Details' && notmarketuser)
            {
           Lead changedLead = [select id,  First_Contact_Number__c, CreatedDate from lead where id=:NewTask.WhoId];
               		if(changedLead.CreatedDate > d && changedLead.First_Contact_Number__c==NULL)
               		{
                 changedLead.First_Contact_Number__c= decimal.valueof((newTask.CreatedDate.getTime()-changedLead.CreatedDate.getTime()))/(1000*60*60);
                   updatedLeads.add(changedLead);
                   }
        	}
       }
  }
      update updatedLeads;
}

Phil

This was selected as the best answer