function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ScriptMonkeyScriptMonkey 

Flex/API access to Protected Custom Settings

We have a package that uses Custom Settings (protected).  The visualforce pages/classes in the package can access it fine, without problems, but the FLEX app we have in the package cannot access it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice how to let the Flex app reach the custom settings without making new ones?

Thanks

My OwnMy Own

You are not allowed to access the custom settings which are "Protected".  Make it as public. Is your package in Managed ? 

ScriptMonkeyScriptMonkey

My Own wrote:

You are not allowed to access the custom settings which are "Protected".  Make it as public. Is your package in Managed ? 

Yes, the package is Managed, which is why the problem is happening, we can't just change the type of settings.

Is there any way for Flex to request something from Apex or VF?   they can see the settings.

My OwnMy Own

If your just installed the package as managed then you are not allowed to view the content even for Protected. This is by default hidden, If you would like to access them then again you have to have the "Public" type custom settings only. I don't have the proper link to give for reference. I will post that soon. 

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

The API won't be able to see those objects at all (e.g. the Apex Data Loader). However, you can create accessor functions that can be called by your Flex object to allow controlled access to those settings (e.g. you could make them read-only, or dependent on user permissions). To do this, you'll have to create a global class with webservice or rest functions, which your Flex application than then call directly. The alternative is to create a new custom setting and abandon the one you're using now... (and that may well be too painful to contemplate).