function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
cropzimcropzim 

Summer 11 - Force.com IDE Debug log - truncated

I'm puzzled

Running Eclipse Helios and Force.com IDE plug 20.0.1

• On 2011-05-20, our Sandbox was on Spring 11.  If I used the IDE and did Run Tests on class Foo, I got a full debug log of the entire class execution in the Apex Test Runner view
  • On 2011-05-23, after our Sandbox was upgraded to Summer 11, running the exact same test in the IDE on class Foo yields a vastly truncated debug log in the Apex Test Runner view. The log is only about 130KB.

I know the code executes to completion because the same Run tests in the Force.com browser Apex Classes | Run Tests yields a debug log of 3300KB using the same log filters.

As far as I can tell, it is something about Summer 11 and how the Eclipse IDE version 20.0.1 obtains the debug log.

Any ideas greatly appreciated (I'm already filtering the log to LoggingLevel.INFO and thus avoiding the noise; but I need more than 130KB of debug log to analyze my execution).

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
tmatthiesentmatthiesen

The fix was checked into this week's patch.  You should see this by tomorrow AM.

regards,

Taggart

All Answers

kpeterskpeters

I believe I am running into something similar after our sandbox was upgraded to Summer '11.  However, my problem is the desired logging is not showing up due to something else besides truncation.  If my unit tests generate a DML exception, they are no longer ending up in the debug log in Eclipse so I can troubleshoot.

I think it may have something to do with trigger depth.  For instance, I added debug logging to one of my triggers and saw it in the Eclipse debug log.  However, the same logging in my other trigger that was called as a result of the aforementioned trigger does not show up in the Eclipse debug log.

I've opened a support ticket with SFDC.

anschoeweanschoewe

I have the exact same problem.  The log in the Apex Test Runner in Eclipse is truncated.  This worked before the upgrade to Summer '11.  This is very frustrating.  Does anyone know of a workaround?  Is there a way to change the log size?  Can the Ant Migration Tool get around this issue?  Or what about changing the Log Filter on the classes I'm interested in.  I believe this is a new feature in Summer '11.

Any help would be appreciated,

Andrew

philbophilbo

Same here.  I suddenly cannot see more than 64K characters in the Apex Test Runner logfile, so I am no longer able to debug my test methods.  Nothing has changed in my setup in the past several days.

Can somebody from Salesforce please weigh in on this?

David81David81

It's not a perfect solution, but I found a combination of the System Log and the new "Apex Test Execution" utility to be very handy. I start up the System Log and leave it running then run the tests that I want in the new Apex Test bench. Full logs are then available in the System Log. Add in the ability to filter entries and navigate the execution tree and it's quite handy.

tmatthiesentmatthiesen

We are looking at this issue.  I'll provide an update as soon as we have a root cause.

regards,

Taggart

dmchengdmcheng

Problem is still occuring, unfortunately.

cropzimcropzim

I posted a help ticket on this and just got the response from Level III developer support:

"This issue has been identified as a bug, it is scheduled to be fixed in a forthcoming release, I can't unfortunately be specific about when that will happen."

cropzimcropzim

Latest update from Developer Support:

"I checked and this bug, as of now (subject to change), is set to two patch releases away. Again, can't tell you specifically but usually that means about 2 weeks away."

cropzimcropzim

dev support now says 1 more patch release (1 week) to go before release (w/ usual sfdc caveats on schedule)

rocwilcoxrocwilcox

This truncation (about 64k) is also happening to the output from running tests via the Ant Deploy tool with the "runTest" option.

philbophilbo

What's the status of this?  The sort-of-promised internal release that was supposed to fix this, was scheduled for two weeks ago if my math is right.  Truncation is still happening for me, via Eclipse at least.

Please advise!!!!!

tmatthiesentmatthiesen

The fix was checked into this week's patch.  You should see this by tomorrow AM.

regards,

Taggart

This was selected as the best answer
philbophilbo

Confirmed.  (Hallelujah!!)

cropzimcropzim

I also confirm. 

cropzimcropzim

This problem has recurred on instance cs12 as of 2011-08-25. I had to create a new sandbox when cs3 went down on 2011-08-23 and much to my surprise, the debug log in Force.com IDE is truncated at a way-too-low number of lines - long before the published debug log limit is reached. Filling support case.

macduffmacduff

Where can one find "this weeks patch" that corrects this issue??

thx.

Wendell