function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion

Issues deploying profiles with Force.ide



we created 4 new custom object in a DEV environment.

We also created 2 profiles, with different permissions on these 4 custom objects.

For example, profile A would have read/write access to all objects and the TAB would be set to "ON".


We then deployed from the DEV org to another org, called UAT, where we run our User Acceptance Tests.


We followed these steps:


PASS 1 - deploy the 4 custom objects

PASS 2 - deploy the 2 profiles and workflow rules


Once I deployed to UAT, and logon to UAT, I see that the 2 new profiles were created, but they had no visibility into any of the 4 custom objects (the TAB was set to HIDDEN and the objects had no permissions set.


Had anyone had a similar issue before? What am I missing? Whay are the permission sets not properly copied from DEV to UAT?


Thanks a lot in advance for your ideas




You have to be careful how you build your metadata files. A profile extract only pulls out relevant information, which is not necessarily the entire profile. For example, if you request a profile and a specific list of fields, your extract will contain those profiles and the field level security information only for those fields. In practice, this means that the profile and object information needs to be extracted in one go, and probably pushed in at the same time, too. Metadata magically reorganizes a project file in a way that tends to resolve dependencies, so if an object does not (currently) exist in the target system, and a profile references that object, then as long as the object's metadata is successfully processed, then the security permissions for those objects will be correctly set on the profile.