function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RockersRockers 

How to solve teh System.queryException in trigger

Hi Friends,

I want to write the trigger on Address Object which is used to concatinate the values of city name, state name and country name into single field called "location__c". So, i wrote the trigger on Address Object for the actions of Before insert, Before update. But, while new record is inserting or updating the existing record, it shows following exception.

Exception:-

"execution of BeforeInsert caused by: System.QueryException: List has no rows for assignment to SObject: Trigger.updateLocationDetails: line 5, column 1"

Trigger code:-

trigger updateLocationDetails on SWD_Address__c (before insert,before update)

{

for(SWD_Address__c addressDetails : Trigger.New)

{

SWD_City__c cityDetails = [select Id,name,State_Id__r.Name,State_Id__r.Country_Code__r.Name from SWD_City__c where name =: addressDetails.City__r.name];

String cityName = cityDetails.name; system.debug('%%%%valued of city name in trigger%%%%%'+cityName);

if(cityName!= null && cityName != ' ')

{

String stateName = cityDetails.State_Id__r.Name;

String countryName = cityDetails.State_Id__r.Country_Code__r.Name;

addressDetails.Location__c = cityName+'/'+stateName+'/'+countryName; }

}

}

Pls help me to solve this.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

I agree, but taking the result in list will help you to avoid this exception as you can continue with your code scripts if the list.size() > 0

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

All Answers

UVUV

As a best practice you should not write a query within loop.So, I would suggest you to use collections.

http://salesforcedeveloperblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/best-practices-of-triggers.html

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Apex_Code_Best_Practices

You are getting this exception because query is retuning null.

Navatar_DbSupNavatar_DbSup

Hi,
Please make these changes in your code. You are getting this error because city Details return on any records , so just check that whether it returns any value or not then assign that value inside String cityName like below.

trigger updateLocationDetails on SWD_Address__c (before insert,before update)
{
for(SWD_Address__c addressDetails : Trigger.New)
{
String cityName =null;
SWD_City__c cityDetails = [select Id,name,State_Id__r.Name,State_Id__r.Country_Code__r.Name from SWD_City__c where name =: addressDetails.City__r.name];
If(cityDetails !=null)
{

cityName = cityDetails.name; system.debug('%%%%valued of city name in trigger%%%%%'+cityName);
}
if(cityName!= null && cityName != ' ')
{
String stateName = cityDetails.State_Id__r.Name;
String countryName = cityDetails.State_Id__r.Country_Code__r.Name;
addressDetails.Location__c = cityName+'/'+stateName+'/'+countryName; }
}
}
}

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Try replacing your code :

With this :

List<SWD_City__c> cityDetails = new List<SWD_City__c>() ;

cityDetails = [select Id,name,State_Id__r.Name,State_Id__r.Country_Code__r.Name from SWD_City__c where name =: addressDetails.City__r.name];

Change rest of the code because we are using list now.

Thanks

Ankit Arora

RockersRockers

Hi Jain,

Thanks for reply. Even, i changed the code as you mentioned. But, still same issue is happening.

Regards,

Phanikumar

RockersRockers

Hi Ankit,

Thanks for reply. But, we are using where condition in query. Hence, there is no chance to get more than one record. Because, city, state and country details are stored seperately for normalization purpose. Also, we are querying from city object. so, there is no chance to get more than one record with the same name.

Pls correct me, if i am wrong.

Regards,

Phanikumar

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

I agree, but taking the result in list will help you to avoid this exception as you can continue with your code scripts if the list.size() > 0

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Ankit Arora

This was selected as the best answer
RockersRockers

Hi Ankit,

Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Phanikumar