function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RongzhongHuangRongzhongHuang 

Apex Trigger Duplicate Insert Records

Hi all,

I got a problem about duplicate inserting child records.

The business requirement is: When a field value is changed, we want put the old value into custom history table just for tracking purpose.

So I wrote a trigger like below. TE_Sub_Task__c  is custom parent object, Technical_Engagement_Comments__c is a custom child object of TE_Sub_Task__c,  Comments__c is the field on parent object which we want to track.

Normally the trigger works well, but in one scenario, the trigger duplicates the records. The scenarios is the comments__c field got update, then workflow rules update other fields, then this trigger will be run again. So the same comments will be inserted twice. Does anybody know how to work around the problem? Hopefully I explain this issue clearly.

Any comments welcome. 

trigger TESubTask_CommentUpdated on TE_Sub_Task__c (after insert, after update) {
     List<Technical_Engagement_Comments__c> toBeInsert = new List<Technical_Engagement_Comments__c>();
     for (TE_Sub_Task__c teSubTask : trigger.new){
         if (teSubTask.Comments__c != null && teSubTask.Comments__c != ''){

if ((trigger.isInsert) || (trigger.isUpdate && trigger.oldMap.get(teSubTask.Id).Comments__c != teSubTask.Comments__c)){
                    Technical_Engagement_Comments__c teComment = new Technical_Engagement_Comments__c();
                    teComment.Comments__c = teSubTask.comments__c;
                    teComment.TE_Sub_Task__c = teSubTask.Id;
                    toBeInsert.add(teComment);
                }
           }
      }

if (toBeInsert.size() > 0)
             insert toBeInsert;
}

Chamil MadusankaChamil Madusanka

Try This changes

trigger TESubTask_CommentUpdated on TE_Sub_Task__c (after insert, after update) {
     List<Technical_Engagement_Comments__c> toBeInsert = new List<Technical_Engagement_Comments__c>();
	 Set<Technical_Engagement_Comments__c> toBeInsertSet = new Set<Technical_Engagement_Comments__c>();

if ((trigger.isInsert) || (trigger.isUpdate && trigger.oldMap.get(teSubTask.Id).Comments__c != teSubTask.Comments__c)){
                    Technical_Engagement_Comments__c teComment = new Technical_Engagement_Comments__c();
                    toBeInsertSet.add(teComment);
                }
           }
      }

if (toBeInsertSet.size() > 0) { toBeInsert.addAll(toBeInsertSet); insert toBeInsert; }
}

If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

Hi chamll, thanks for you reply. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. The problem here is the trigger is run twice. 

Chamil MadusankaChamil Madusanka
	 Set<Technical_Engagement_Comments__c> toBeInsertSet = new Set<Technical_Engagement_Comments__c>();

if(!toBeInsertSet.contains(teComment))
{
 toBeInsertSet.add(teComment);
}
 } } } if (toBeInsertSet.size() > 0) { toBeInsert.addAll(toBeInsertSet); insert toBeInsert; } }

steve456steve456

try to deactivate the workflow on the particular object  n try once

Hi chamil, it still doesn't work. :( 

I understand what you are trying to do. But the issue here is that some workflows updates field, which fire the trigger again. So basically, the trigger runs twice.     

I am sure if I deactivate the workflow, it should work. But this is not the idea solution. 

steve456steve456

ya deactivate the workflow and again write a trigger which gives the same result as d workflow