function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC 

Custom Profiles in Managed Package???

Hi,

I am develping custom App. For that app, i am creating few custom profiles.

I am going to create Managed Package of the app and going to upload it on AppExchange.

Is it possible to package custom profiles, while creating a Managed Package?

Thanks and Regards,
Devendra S

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

I don't see any issue in that. Find below some guidelines :

When designing your app for Force.com AppExchange, create custom profiles for the various users of your app. Give each
custom profile the appropriate level of access to your app such as tab visibility or field-level security settings for approval fields
on custom objects. Use the following tips when creating custom profiles for apps you want to publish:
• Give your custom profiles a meaningful name that makes it obvious that the profile applies to the app. For example, if you
are creating a Human Resources app, you may want to name a custom profile "Approving Manager" for managers that
approve requisitions.
• If your custom profiles have a hierarchy, make sure the name indicates where in the hierarchy that profile is. For example,
a senior-level manager's profile could have the name "Level 2 Approving Manager."
• Avoid giving your custom profiles names that may be interpreted differently in other organizations. For example, "Level
2 Approving Manager" is a more appropriate profile name than "Sr. Manager."
• The profile Description is displayed to the user installing your app. Provide a meaningful description for each custom
profile so that users installing your app can view it.
When you package an app, you can include your custom profiles.When a customer installs the app, they will be able to overlay
these profile settings into their existing profiles. Only the portions of the profile that apply to your package will be affected.

All Answers

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

I don't see any issue in that. Find below some guidelines :

When designing your app for Force.com AppExchange, create custom profiles for the various users of your app. Give each
custom profile the appropriate level of access to your app such as tab visibility or field-level security settings for approval fields
on custom objects. Use the following tips when creating custom profiles for apps you want to publish:
• Give your custom profiles a meaningful name that makes it obvious that the profile applies to the app. For example, if you
are creating a Human Resources app, you may want to name a custom profile "Approving Manager" for managers that
approve requisitions.
• If your custom profiles have a hierarchy, make sure the name indicates where in the hierarchy that profile is. For example,
a senior-level manager's profile could have the name "Level 2 Approving Manager."
• Avoid giving your custom profiles names that may be interpreted differently in other organizations. For example, "Level
2 Approving Manager" is a more appropriate profile name than "Sr. Manager."
• The profile Description is displayed to the user installing your app. Provide a meaningful description for each custom
profile so that users installing your app can view it.
When you package an app, you can include your custom profiles.When a customer installs the app, they will be able to overlay
these profile settings into their existing profiles. Only the portions of the profile that apply to your package will be affected.

This was selected as the best answer
Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC

Thanks a lot Pradeep.

I did not get these lines 

"When a customer installs the app, they will be able to overlay
these profile settings into their existing profiles. Only the portions of the profile that apply to your package will be affected."

Thanks and Regards,

Devendra S

Admin Admin.ax1772Admin Admin.ax1772

Hi, I included a custom profile in a managed package, but after installation, I´m not able to assign any user to that profile, the profile is hidden. What can be going on?

sebascansecosebascanseco

Took me a while to figure it out but here's the solution:

IN YOUR DE ORG:

1. Clone Standard Platform User profile (because is the one that has the Salesforce Platform license) an name it something meaningful like MyApp_Profile
  2. Customize MyApp_Profile to match your desired access level for the users that will test or use your app
  3. Add custom profile settings MyApp_Profile to the package
  4. Go ahead an finish the package

IN THE TEST_ORG (OR YOUR_CUSTOMER_ORG):
  5. Pre-create a profile by cloning the Standard Platform User profile and name it something meaningful like MyApp_TestProfile
  6. Assign MyApp_TestProfile to a user
  7. Install the package and on Step 2 (Choose security level) of  the wizard you have to select the third option (Select security settings)
  8. Under "Customize security" section make sure the MyApp_TestProfile (created on step 5) has the MyApp_Profile assigned (created on step 1)
  9. Finish the Package installation
  10. Log to the test or customer org with the user that has the MyApp_TestProfile assigned and choose your App from top right menu.
  11. You're welcome!

I hope this solves your issue too!