function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SurenderSurender 

Trying to change Picklist to multi-select picklist, but am getting Generic Exception Creator

Hi,

I was trying to change field of type picklist to multi select picklist.

But am unable to do so because am getting below exception.

Validation Errors while Saving Record(s)

There were custom validation error(s) encountered while saving the affected record(s). The first validation error encountered was  "Generic Exception Creator".

To solve the above i tried below like

I have deactivated all validation rules/triggers pertaining to that field.

I have commented out all the code in Apex class & Visual Force page pertaing tjhis field.

Now there are no more references for that field but still am getting Exception and i could not change it to multi select picklist.

Can you please share your thoughts to solve the above problem.

Feedback is appreciated..

rakeshaggarwalrakeshaggarwal

I've run into that error as well. 

Try deleting the field instead.  It won't actually let you delete the field and will provide a more specific error message leading you to whatever is referencing the field and preventing the change. From there It would be easy to resolve and then change the field type.

KalyanLKalyanL

Surender wrote:

I have commented out all the code in Apex class & Visual Force page pertaing tjhis field.

Now there are no more references for that field but still am getting Exception and i could not change it to multi select picklist.

AAre you sure, you have verified in the Apex code.  Unfortunately, SFDC doesn't tell where exactly the reference is.  I would just verify once again if there are any references in the Apex code.

Thanks!