function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
asd@as.asdasd@as.asd 

datatype

hello,

i have a lookup lookup field candidate__C in job_Application custom object.

now i want to change field candidate__C  from lookup to master Master-Detail Relationship

how can i do it.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Chamil MadusankaChamil Madusanka

Is there any master-detail fields in your object? Because there is a limit for maximum number of master-detail fields per object.

Refer : https://na12.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/limits.htm

If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

All Answers

Your Name --> Setup --> Create --> Object --> Job Application --> Click  Edit link which is next to Candidate__c custom field

Click Change Type Button. Then You can change the data type from lookup to master-detail

If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

asd@as.asdasd@as.asd

thanks for reply

but i already try this.there master_child reletionship field is locked for edit.

i can't change field type

Is there any master-detail fields in your object? Because there is a limit for maximum number of master-detail fields per object.

Refer : https://na12.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/limits.htm

This was selected as the best answer
asd@as.asdasd@as.asd

yes , i am using a another master-detail fields in my object.

can yau tell me the limit for maximum number of master-detail fields per custom object

You can create 2 master detail relationships per object. check the link which I post in previous reply.

Teach_me_howTeach_me_how

Im interested in this thread.. i want to know what are those impacts if he do this(changing a lookup field into master detail)? is it risky?

After you have created a relationship, you can't change which objects are related via that relationship. If you need to do this, delete the relationship and create a new relationship. You can convert a master-detail relationship to a lookup relationship as long as no roll-up summary fields exist on the master object. You can convert a lookup relationship to a master-detail relationship, but only if the lookup field in all records contains a value.

vivek12345vivek12345

Hello Chamil

Sorry but you can only have 2 master details relationship per object, please can you correct this post as this confuse others.

Thanks

Vivek

Thanks Vevek. My mistake. It is 2. I corrected that. Thanks for showing my mistake. :)

Kanagaraj ArjunanKanagaraj Arjunan

If you need to  change the field  thype lookup to master detail first you need to delete  all the record in the Job application object .

then goto Setup -->Create --> Object-->click the Job application object then --->Candidate field ---> Edit--> Change Field Type  then you choose the master detail data type