function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
shawshankshawshank 

Can a pending approval step be completed with Apex

I am using an approval process and field updates to integrate with an external system.  I would like to keep an approval step open when information is sent to an external system and then approve the pending step when the external system updates a field.  Upon approval, the process proceeds to the next step.  With this process, the users can clearly see which approvals are pending in the external system.    

Here's my process:

Approval Step 1: User submits for approval on Step 1.  If approved, Field 1 is updated and the process goes to Approval Step 2.

Trigger 1: When Field 1 is updated, in simple terms, a process is called from an external system.

Approval Step 2: When workflow is complete in the external system, Field 2 is updated from the external system.

I would like the update of Field 2 to close the pending approval on Step 2.  Can I close the pending approval step 2 with a trigger?  Any suggestions or recommendations on how to accomplish this step would be appreciated.

Approval Step 3: Continues with the standard user-based approval process.

shawshankshawshank

Thanks for the reply and link to the code.  I was hoping to get inside the approval steps; however, it does not look like this is possible (the table info cannot be updated).  I'll have to re-work my approval process to close the first approval process when the information is submitted to the external system, and then kick off a new approval process with Apex when the information is transferred back from the external system.  I'll accomplish the same goal...just a little work-around.  Thanks.