function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EIE50EIE50 

Basic Enterprise wsdl and apex web services question

Hi,

I've a baisc question on Integration and web services part.

1) We are integrating oracle with salesforce through web services. what i would like to know is,

- If i provide the enterprise WSDL to oracle, can it login to salesforce (yes, i know this part) and create an account, contact and a case? ( should some one write the logic in oracle side to do this?)

- Do i need to write a web service in Salesforce to create an account, contact and case, then send a response back to oracle? I thought i should write a web serivce, but some salesforce consulting expert told me that these actions are possible if i give the oracle team just the standard enterprise WSDL rather me writing a web service to do these actions.

Please confirm.

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
ShamilShamil

EIE50,

You don't need to write custom web services (i.e. Apex classes exposed as web services) for the operations you listed. 

The external system, Oracle in your case, will need to consume the WSDL, and make the web service calls to SFDC. Specifically, to create records you need to use the create() call: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content/sforce_api_calls_create.htm#topic-title

Generally speaking, you have other options besides the Enterprise WSDL:

1. Use Partner WSDL - which is generic, not strongly typed version of the WSDL. Advantage here is that if the metadata changes, say new field gets added to Account object, you wouldn't have to reimport WSDL to your external system. You can find details about the Partner WSDL here: Force.com Web Services API Developer's Guide
  2. You could also use the REST API http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_rest/index.htm, which is not based on SOAP/WSDL

All Answers

ShamilShamil

EIE50,

You don't need to write custom web services (i.e. Apex classes exposed as web services) for the operations you listed. 

The external system, Oracle in your case, will need to consume the WSDL, and make the web service calls to SFDC. Specifically, to create records you need to use the create() call: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content/sforce_api_calls_create.htm#topic-title

Generally speaking, you have other options besides the Enterprise WSDL:

1. Use Partner WSDL - which is generic, not strongly typed version of the WSDL. Advantage here is that if the metadata changes, say new field gets added to Account object, you wouldn't have to reimport WSDL to your external system. You can find details about the Partner WSDL here: Force.com Web Services API Developer's Guide
  2. You could also use the REST API http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_rest/index.htm, which is not based on SOAP/WSDL
This was selected as the best answer
sas619sas619

Hi Shamil,

can you please guide the next steps in salesforce integration to lms after generating apex class from wsdl file ?

Regards

Saswat 

ShamilShamil

Saswat,

Your question is pretty generic. Can you please elaborate more on it? What is 'lms'?

sas619sas619

Shamil,

A Learning Management System (LMS) is an application that allows instructors, training coordinators and managers to monitor student participation in Web-based and classroom training. Functionality may include content assembly, deployment, and tracking as well as enrolment and catalog development.So basically you can assume that lms is just like an external system like sap,oracle or .net. As i am currently assigned to work on this project and also new to salesforce,so i wanted to know  the elaborate steps regarding integration after apex class generation

ShamilShamil

Since you're new to SFDC, my advice would be to ramp up on the documentation - there's plenty of really good technical resources you can go through at http://developer.force.com/.

It sounds like you'll be making Apex callouts, so I believe the best document to start with might be Force.com Apex Code Developer's Guide.

If you're planning to build custom UI in SFDC, then Visualforce Developer's Guide is another document to read through.

EIE50EIE50

Thanks shamil, appreciated.

I just kept this thread open all these days for the other person to get his questions answered.

Afroz Ahmed 9Afroz Ahmed 9
For all the basic CRUD operations on standard and custom objects, the standard API (Enterp[rise or Partner) can be used. Any other custom services needs to be written in apex and has to be exposed separately and generate the wsdl for it.
Afroz Ahmed 9Afroz Ahmed 9
For all the basic CRUD operations on standard and custom objects, the standard API (Enterprise or Partner) can be used. Any other custom services needs to be written in apex and has to be exposed separately and generate the wsdl for it.