function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
seattle_devseattle_dev 

Creative Querying for Many Records Using Collections

I have a query that i want to run which only returns records whose custom string field value is not within the keyset of a map. 

The trick is populating the map with thousands of records.

The problem i'm having is i'm running into heap size limits while trying to populate the map. If i can just populate that map within one instantiation/population line of code, i can avoid the heap size exception.

Example below:

Map<String, Custom_Object__c> myMap = new Map<String, Custom_Object__c>([Select Custom_Field__c From Custom_Object__c Where Custom_Field__c != null limit 50000]);

This will instantiate & populate the map with key value pairs on one line, and i avoid the heap exception. However the key for the map is the id of the records, and the value is the record. What i need as the key is the field 'Custom_Field__c'. 

Does anyone know how to accomplish the instantiation/population of a map on a single line of code where the key (or value for that matter) is a specific field value?

What i'm trying to accomlish is using that maps keys or values as a filter for another query for another object.

Thanks for the help in advance.

devendra dhakadevendra dhaka

Map<String, Custom_Object__c> myMap = new Map<String, Custom_Object__c>

for( Custom_Object__c co : [Select Custom_Field__c From Custom_Object__c Where Custom_Field__c != null ])

myMap.put(co.id,co);

This might help. Even you won't have to put limit on records,