function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AndrewTaylorAndrewTaylor 

Test Methods - Can't retrieve data via SOQL after setting values in Trigger

I have some tests running for a Trigger (before insert), where I set some lookup fields (based on some logic from other fields).

Through debugging, I can see that the fields are set properly within my Trigger (let's call this field LookupField__c).

However, in my test class, if I query the inserted records [select Id, LookupField__c from Sobject where Id = :insertedRecord.Id], the LookupField__c is null (even though in the Trigger, I can see it was set).

The field is not touched anywhere else.  Is there a reason I can't query on this in the Test Class?  I could have sworn I used to be able to do this.

Eugene PozniakEugene Pozniak

Starting with 24 version of API your test methods do not have access to the real database. You should build a test database from your test or if you still want to use the real database set the @isTest(SeeAllData=true) annotation .

Hope, it will be the answer on your question.

AndrewTaylorAndrewTaylor

Thanks for the reply, Euguene.  I added the annotation @isTest(SeeAllData=true) to the top of my test class, but I'm still not able to query the test data via SOQL in my test method.

I'm not familiar with building a test database - can you point me to where to get started?

Damien_Damien_

Create the data in your actual test class, that you will use in your test class.

AndrewTaylorAndrewTaylor

Hi Damien,

The problem is the Trigger is what sets the values;  if I create the data in the Test Class, I'm not really testing the Trigger functionality then, unless I'm not understanding.

- Test class creates record, does insert

- Trigger runs on "before insert", sets specific Lookup field value

- Test class then runs SOQL query to check that the values were set properly when running the trigger.

Damien_Damien_

From the sounds of it, it sounded like you were querying for dependent data since the other suggestion was to use the 'SeeAllData'.  I must have misinterpreted what you needed because of this.

The only other suggestion I can make without knowing more is to make sure you use the Test.startTest() and Test.stopTest();

I think you are running that trigger in before case,

in before case records are not comited to database ,so it will return 0 records

place that soql in below block 

if(! isRunningTest){

soql in trigger

}

simply stop that code when you are running test.

before means before insert