function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PRIYAPRIYAPRIYAPRIYA 

What is the maximum number of Lookup realtionships on a Standard Object

Hi

Please answer the fourth question here:

1. Maximum number of Master-Detail realtionships on a Custom Object is : 2

2. Maximum number of Master-Detail realtionships on a Standard Object is : 0
  3. Maximum number of Lookup realtionships on a Custom Object is : 25
  4. Maximum number of Lookup realtionships on a Standard Object is :

Thanks,

Priya.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
@anilbathula@@anilbathula@

Hi,

Yes the custom lookup fields on  both the objects are 25 only.

But there is an advantage in the standard object where u can get some more lookup fields by standard functionality .

Apart  from that u can have 25 custom lookup fields in standard object and custom object.

Thanks

Anil.B

All Answers

Hi,

Maximum number of Lookup realtionships on a Standard Object is :25.

These 25 are custom lookups fields and the standard will not be counted in these.

Thanks

Anil.B 

PRIYAPRIYAPRIYAPRIYA

So, please confirm if the maximum number of lookup relationships on standard object is 25 and also on custom object is 25 only?

Hi,

Yes the custom lookup fields on  both the objects are 25 only.

But there is an advantage in the standard object where u can get some more lookup fields by standard functionality .

Apart  from that u can have 25 custom lookup fields in standard object and custom object.

Thanks

Anil.B

This was selected as the best answer
PRIYAPRIYAPRIYAPRIYA

Ok, thanks Anil for your quick responses.

RaviBenedettiRaviBenedetti

Anil - Can you please explain what 'standard functionality' will allow one to get more than 25 lookup relationship fields on a standard object? Thanks much!

Nerd sfdcNerd sfdc
Is the limit still 25
Hari ChowdharyHari Chowdhary
It's been increased to 40 now.
Dushyant Gupta 10Dushyant Gupta 10
Hello Guys, I'm new on this forum. I try to find out the limit of Lookup relationship on a custom object. It's being confusing as got different answers, can someone please help me by answring Priya's question again (want to know current limits):
  2. Maximum number of Master-Detail realtionships on a Custom Object is : 
  3. Maximum number of Master-Detail realtionships on a Standard Object is : 
  4. Maximum number of Lookup realtionships on a Custom Object is : 
  5. Maximum number of Lookup realtionships on a Standard Object is :
Thanks.
mattytreksmattytreks

@Dushyant, the current limits, as of February 2017, are as follows:

MAX # of Master-Detail Relationship Fields, per Object (Standard or Custom) -- 2
MAX # of total Relationship Fields (Master-Detail + Lookup), per Object (Standard or Custom) -- 40

Hope this helps!

Jo_DengJo_Deng
@mattytreks I can't find documentation on the maximum number of lookup relationships, or total relationship fields, could you share where exactly you found this? 
mattytreksmattytreks
@Jo_Deng- please see Help Article below.  Eighth bullet-point from the top...but please ignore the fact it says 25.  This is obsolete and needs to be updated to 40.

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=overview_of_custom_object_relationships.htm&type=0
Jo_DengJo_Deng
Thanks Matt! I looked at this article and wish Salesforce would have updated this. I'll log a Salesforce case to ask them to confirm.
mattytreksmattytreks
Very welcome, Jo!

And agreed.  It's time they update that help page, that's for sure!!
Samuel Lau 14Samuel Lau 14
Does anyone know if we can increase the limit above 40 lookup fields?  If so then is there a charge associated to it?
SpeeSpee
Total # of relationship fields is 40. Includes both M-D type  and LKP type.
Check page 239 of this release notes. http://resources.docs.salesforce.com/190/latest/en-us/sfdc/pdf/salesforce_summer14_release_notes.pdf
Carlos A. GallardoCarlos A. Gallardo
Update from studying and passing the Data Architecture and Management Designer Architect Domain Certification Exam.

Limit of 40 relationships in an object. BUT you can only have a MAX of 2 Master-Detail not matter what. So 40 lookups OR 38 lookups and 2 MDs OR 39 lookups and 1 MD.
Hard Limit is 50.

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000180846&type=1 
Craig DodgeCraig Dodge
I still get an error message when trying to create a roll up that I've hit the limit of 25.
Carlos A. GallardoCarlos A. Gallardo
Hi Craig,

Roll-up summary fields are different but related to Master-Detail Relationships in Salesforce, which is the main topic being discussed in this thread around its limits. You cannot create Roll-up summary fields for two objects with a lookup relationship. You can only do so if two objects have a Master-Detail Relationship.
Moving on, the hard limit for creating Roll-up summary fields within the master object of a Master-Detail Relationship is 25. It used to be 10 but is now 25. No way getting around this limit. But I would recommend looking into a free managed package called Declarative Lookup Rollup Summary, which could potentially open up more possibilities for you for rolling up data between lookup relationships. Good luck! 
Sangeeta Patra 11Sangeeta Patra 11
Can anyone please let me know what does this Hard limit = 50 means in terms of maximum relationships for an object??