function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Beth at King Arthur FlourBeth at King Arthur Flour 

Newbie needs help with custom settings reference in Apex trigger

I have a trigger that needs to use a specific account id and a specific user id. Instead of hardwiring the IDs in the trigger I want to store the values in a custom setting and reference them in the trigger.

I created a list custom setting CS_Constants and a field called SF_ID. Then I added two data sets to the list.
Name: CSAccount
SF_ID: 001J000000FpzyZIAR

Name: CSSupervisor
SF_ID: 005A0000001BBFuIAO

I am having trouble using the values in the trigger.

Here is what I tried in a method call to create contact:

OwnerID=CS_Constants__c.getInstance('CSAccount'),

and I get this error:
Error: Compile Error: Invalid initial expression type for field Contact.OwnerId, expecting: Id at line 38 column 53

How do I make this work the way I need?

Thanks,
Beth

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
crop1645crop1645

This threw me initially too the first time I worked with Custom Settings

ID ownerId = CS_Constants__c.getInstance('CSAccount').SF_ID__c;

Best practice would be to do it this way though:

CS_Constants__c csc = CS_Constants__c.getInstance('CSAccount');
if (csc == null) {throw some exception}
else
ownerId = (ID) csc.sf_id__c;

This way you protect yourself from someone deleting the custom setting that you need

In addition, in your test method, you either need to insert this custom setting or, use @isTest(SeeAllData=true) as Custom Settings are not inherently visible to testmethods at V24.0 or higher

All Answers

crop1645crop1645

This threw me initially too the first time I worked with Custom Settings

ID ownerId = CS_Constants__c.getInstance('CSAccount').SF_ID__c;

Best practice would be to do it this way though:

CS_Constants__c csc = CS_Constants__c.getInstance('CSAccount');
if (csc == null) {throw some exception}
else
ownerId = (ID) csc.sf_id__c;

This way you protect yourself from someone deleting the custom setting that you need

In addition, in your test method, you either need to insert this custom setting or, use @isTest(SeeAllData=true) as Custom Settings are not inherently visible to testmethods at V24.0 or higher

This was selected as the best answer
SammyComesHereSammyComesHere

Custom Setting would always return you a string object and you are trying to typecase a string into an Id.

You need to explicitly typecast to an Id or store it in a string and later set it as Id on update.

Invalid initial expression type for field Contact.OwnerId, expecting: Id at line 38 column 53

crop1645crop1645

thanks Sammy - I corrected the code above

It compiles now, but doesn't actually work. I am not running it through a test method, rather I am sending an email to the sandbox and the trigger is executing as part of email to case.  When I send the email, no case gets created.

I'm not clear on where I would put

@isTest(SeeAllData=true)

in a trigger,

or insert the custom settings into the trigger, if that is the issue.

Thanks,

Beth

crop1645crop1645

Beth --

I think I may be confusing you

1. the reference to @isTest applies to yout testmethod which you will eventually have to write in orfer to migrate your trigger (+ testclass) to production

2. I infer from your remark on flow that the following is your situation

* EmailToCase

* Case trigger fires

* case trigger looks up custom setting and assigns ownerid to Case

* Trigger ends

* Case is created

You say Case is not created -- there could be lots of reasons for this and you have to look at the emailToCase diagnostics to see what is going on.  Alternatively (and better), you can simulate a new Case being inserted by using either Execute Anonymous Apex or write a test method.  In either case, you'll do something simple like:

insert new Case(fldA = valx, fldB = valy, ....); and then you can get more diagnostics from the debug log

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the additional information. I got it to work last night - I had transcribed the dataset variable names in the assignment statement so it saved but didn't work.

Thanks again for all your help and the code snippet!

Beth