function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
VAHBVAHB 

Editing after insert object

I am trying to figure out how to edit an object after update.

I dont really care if it is before or after, but I need to use the ClosedDate field after the Status = Closed. If I use before update the status of the new object is Closed but the ClosedDate hasn't been generated (I'm guessing because it hasn't been inserted yet so Salesforce hasn't filled in the date yet.

What would the best way to go about doing this, using the newMap field and editing? I get some read only errors when I do this.

ANy help is appreciated

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
HariDineshHariDinesh

Hi,

If you are setting status as "closed" in trigger itself, then make closeddate field like below while you are updating the status Field to closed

Closeddate = date.Today() which might populate the correct date.

If you are doing status at somewhere and that cause the trigger fire and

IF you want to set the closeddate now then check for the status value in trigger liket Trigger.new[0].status

Then populate the closeddate as Date.Today();

Which might resolve you problem?

If there are only these field updates that are required then you can use Formula field to populate the Closeddate.

If there is some other code then try for above approaches

All Answers

HariDineshHariDinesh

Hi,

If you are setting status as "closed" in trigger itself, then make closeddate field like below while you are updating the status Field to closed

Closeddate = date.Today() which might populate the correct date.

If you are doing status at somewhere and that cause the trigger fire and

IF you want to set the closeddate now then check for the status value in trigger liket Trigger.new[0].status

Then populate the closeddate as Date.Today();

Which might resolve you problem?

If there are only these field updates that are required then you can use Formula field to populate the Closeddate.

If there is some other code then try for above approaches

This was selected as the best answer
VAHBVAHB

I mean there is no trigger setting it closed, it is manually done by a user to Close a case.

This is a default field that is a part of all Cases the "ClosedDate" field that is of Date/Time. It is automatically generated by salesforce when a case is closed, I have no workflows or trigger to fill it in.