function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
alex_from_75015alex_from_75015 

Handling comparison request in mass trigger

Hello

I need some help to develop a trigger (for mass insert)

Here is my need :

I have a reference table : lets call it TABLE1 with one field "start_row" (double) and one field "end_row" (double) and other information fields (TABLE1 has around 120000 records)

I am performing a mass insert on TABLE2 with one field called "position" (double)

For each insert (trigger before insert), I have to search in TABLE1 if there is a record where "start_row"<="position"<="end_row"

If one record is found, I need to transfer other information fields from TABLE1 to TABLE2 object inserted

If it was a one by one insert request will look like be

try {

myrecord=[select info1, info2, info3 from TABLE1 where start_row<=evt.position and end_row>=evt.position]; // limit 1 is not necessary since I am sure there is only one or none matching record in TABLE1

evt.info1=myrecord.info1;

evt.info2=myrecord.info2;

}

catch...

How can I perform this mass select ?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 

Works perfectly

Just have to shortener your variable so as not to hit 10000 characters limit for request

Thanks a lot

Regards

NB : you should apply to SFDC premium support since they say it was not possible to do my need in a trigger !!!!!

All Answers

kibitzerkibitzer

My first thought of things to try would be to use dynamic SOQL to build up a query that includes all items.

(pseudo code)

For inter x = 0 to size of  trigger.new

If it's not the first entry, add an 'OR' term

Add a "start_rwo"<= :trigger.new[x].position and "end_row" >= :trigger.new[x].position

So you should get something like:

myrecords=[select info1, info2, info3 from TABLE1 where start_row<=evt[0].position and end_row>=evt[0].position or start_row<=evt[1].position and end_row>=evt[1].position]

and so on.

Based on your description of the logic, you should only get up to 200 records in the result. This should be a small enough number for you to manually search through the records to find the right one.  To avoid script limits you'll probably want to sort the results by start_row and implement a binary search on the resulting list.

The only concernt that remains is SOQL limit length. If you see an error occurring there, try splitting the list into two separate lists and do two queries instead.

I'd say this approach has a very high probability of working for you.

Good luck

Dan

Hi

Nice idea

I will try it

Regards

Alex

Works perfectly

Just have to shortener your variable so as not to hit 10000 characters limit for request

Thanks a lot

Regards

NB : you should apply to SFDC premium support since they say it was not possible to do my need in a trigger !!!!!

This was selected as the best answer