function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tony WhiteTony White 

Running Tests in Spring 13

Got a couple of questions about running tests for a single class in Spring 13 release.

1) When runnning a single test class, how do we see the debug log?

2) When runnning a single test class, how do we see the colour coded code coverage?

Overall atm I am not impressed (to put it lightly) with the changes in the test area....

Thanks

Tony

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Tony WhiteTony White

Ok I was doing some prep to do the maintance exam and found the winter 13 developer preview webinar which demonstrated the use of the Developer Console to do the testing of individual classes, not sure it is better than the single page but at least there is a consolidated view.

See - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIN85eT6MHk&feature=player_detailpage#t=1794s

All Answers

Tony WhiteTony White

I see one of my questions someone else has already answered - colour coded code coverage can be viewed by clicking the link the code coverage column of the apex classes list

Rahul_sgRahul_sg

I think for the debug log you need to set the log under monitoring before you hit the run test method.

Even  I didnt like the changes in the test area.

Rahul_sgRahul_sg

better use eclipse IDE  to validate the coverage

Tony WhiteTony White

well it is supposed to be a cloud solution.  I know people that do NOT use the IDE at all, they do all their coding via the browser because it is quicker than the IDE, and always in sync with others changes.

Tony WhiteTony White

Ok I was doing some prep to do the maintance exam and found the winter 13 developer preview webinar which demonstrated the use of the Developer Console to do the testing of individual classes, not sure it is better than the single page but at least there is a consolidated view.

See - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIN85eT6MHk&feature=player_detailpage#t=1794s

This was selected as the best answer
FedeMFedeM

Thanks for the link, I had the same issue and I share the sentiment (as you said, to put it lightly). No idea why it was thought that removing the previous way to test classes was a good idea.

Thomas DvornikThomas Dvornik

The synchronous test run funcitonality was retired. Everything is moving over to the asynchronous test run functionality, and hence moved over to the new UI. 

Ken KoellnerKen Koellner

So can anyone describe  a quick way of finding the debug log?  I've had no luck.  Even with Developer Console open, no log appears in the list.  And on the web page that runs tests, even when the test is done, there's no link to the log.

Asynchronous is just dandy but there still should be a quick and easy to find out what the heck happened when a test ran.

Thomas DvornikThomas Dvornik
The logs should appear in the "Logs" panel when you run a test via developer console or the Apex Test Execution page. If the developer console has been open for too long, the trace flag may expire and no logs will be recorded. Refreshing the developer console should fix that issue.

If you still don't see logs, then something else is wrong. As a workaround, you can set up yourself as a monitored user, and then run the test again with the developer console open and you should see the logs show up then.