function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MellowYellowMellowYellow 

Relationship Query Question

I'm having trouble retrieving values from multiple SObjects.

I have a Custom Object which has a Master-Detail relationship to Account.  Call it Object1.  I need to retrieve values from the Account which are lookup fields to the User Object.

Select account__r.Name, account__r.Account_Manager From Object  >this returns the account name and the userId of the Account Manager

I need to retrieve the Account Manager's name and e-mail

Select account__r.Account_Manager.Name, account__r.Account_Manager.email from Object1  > doesn't return anything.

I can retrieve the userId for the Account_Manager, but how do I then access the User fields for that Id?

Thanks! 

arizonaarizona

The name field and the email field of the user object is not queryable

sfdcfoxsfdcfox
The fields can be queried through __r (for custom relationships) or through the "id-less" version of the field (for standard relationships). So:

account__r.account_manager__r.name or account__r.account_manager__r.email

account__r.owner.name or account__r.owner.email

Hope this helps.
MellowYellowMellowYellow

Thanks - that query runs, but  the name and email values are always blank. If I run with Limit 10

I get back 10 user rows with no values.   If I run the query with select from Account instead of from object1 it works.

Select account_manager__r.name,account_manager__r.email
From account    - this works

Select account__r.account_manager__r.name,account__r.account_manager__r.email

From Object1   - this returns blank user rows

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

1) Make sure account_manager__c is not blank on the account you're querying; if so, it would indeed be null/blank.

2) System.debug(object1) won't show it, but System.debug(object1.account__r.account_manager__r.name) will.

3) You are limited to four relationships away upstream (e.g. account__r.account_manager__r.manager.manager.name) (but this doesn't seem to be a problem here).

MellowYellowMellowYellow

Thanks for the sanity check. I'm going to try a different lookup field with the same query syntax.