function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
fourfourfunfourfourfun 

Apex trigger for newbie - restricting ability to create entries via related list.

Hopefully a relatively simple trigger.

I have a related list on a custom object. There is a certain Record Type that I want the user to only be able to create ONE entry/relationship with. If they try to create two entries, I want to pop an error with some information for the user.

Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar

Hi,

Please try below :-

Trigger createnewRecord on Child__c(before insert){

List<Id> parentIds = new List<Id>();
    for(Child__c dc:trigger.new){
    if(dc.recordTypeId == <recordtypeid>) { // put the recordTypeId for which you want to restrict
        parentIds.add(dc.Parent__c);   //Assuming the relationship field on child object is Parent__c
    }
    }

List<Parent__c> parentList = [select id,(select id from child__r) from Parent__c where id in:parentIds];
    for(Child__c dc:trigger.new){
    if(parentList[0].child__r>=1){
        c.addError('You cant create more children with this recordtype');
    }
    }

}

prakash_sfdcprakash_sfdc

trigger preventInsert on sObject(before insert)

{

Boolean flag;

Id rtId = [Select Id, Name from RecordType where name = 'recordtypename' limit 1].Id;

for(sObject temp : Trigger.new)
    {

Id recordRtId = [Select RecordTypeId from parentObject WHERE ID=:temp.parentObjectLookup].Id;

List<childObject> pOb=[SELECT ID FROM childObject WHERE parentObjectLookup=:temp.parentObjectLookup];

if(recordRtId==rtId && pOb.size()==1)

temp.addError('error message');

}

}

fourfourfunfourfourfun

Thanks guys, I may have to return to this later as I may be revising the entire set of objects.