function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jhartjhart 

Email Services: intermittent "554 Failed to get next element" errors

We are seeing intermittent error bounces from Email Services with this error message:

The attached message was sent to the Email Service address <(redacted)> but could not be processed because the following error occurred:

554 Failed to get next element

Manually re-sending the offending message back to Email Services - in exactly the same format as was sent originally - works fine, so the error is not in the email content but instead is a transient bug within Email Services.

Edit: given that this is a transient error that can be fixed by retrying the message, this should be grouped with Email Services timeout should retry.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
jhartjhart

From SFDC R&D:

On August 13th, Salesforce rolled out a new inbound mail processing engine ("Core Mail Processor") which automatically retries messages that fail with temporary errors like these.

Even if the underlying bug hasn't been fixed, the new retry logic should mask the problem.  I have not seen any occurences of this error since the rollout.

All Answers

jhartjhart

Salesforce support responds:

As a matter of fact, I wanted to let you know that R&D team is internally working on it. So, the issue is not visible in the known issue database.

So, it's being worked on.  I don't understand the part about the "known issues" database.

jhartjhart

From SFDC R&D:

On August 13th, Salesforce rolled out a new inbound mail processing engine ("Core Mail Processor") which automatically retries messages that fail with temporary errors like these.

Even if the underlying bug hasn't been fixed, the new retry logic should mask the problem.  I have not seen any occurences of this error since the rollout.

This was selected as the best answer