function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BroncoBoyBroncoBoy 

SOQL Aggregate Funtion: Retrieving Count and Values

Setup: 

We built a custom object where we're capturing just a few fields:  type, completed_date and (associated) contact IDs for each type.  Type(Type__c) can have a value of a either meetng or call.  I'm tryting to retrive the number of meetings and number of calls and group those by the contact Ids using a SOQL aggregate:  COUNT(fieldName).  The ideal result is that we want to see that contact Joe Smith has 4 calls and 3 meetings;  contact Susan Johnson has 1 call and 10 meetings.

Current Code:

String query = 'SELECT aacac.Contact_Id__c varAggContactId, COUNT(aacac.Type__c) varAggCount, aacac.Completed_Date__c FROM Accumulated_Activity__c aacac WHERE (aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Meetng%\' OR aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Call%\') GROUP BY aacac.Contact_Id__c,  aacac.Completed_Date__c';
System.debug(query);
System.debug(Database.query(query));

//This Returns

AggregateResult:{varAggCount=4, Completed_Date__c=Thu May 30 00:00:00 GMT 2013, varAggContactId=0033000000JDZklAGH},
AggregateResult:{varAggCount=2, Completed_Date__c=Sun Jun 02 00:00:00 GMT 2013, varAggContactId=0033000000JDZklAGH},

As you can see I'm getting the number but I don't know if the 4 is the number of meetings or calls. 

Question:

Any thoughts how I can get both the number of a certain type grouped by contact as well as the type value itself (4 meetings, 2 calls)?

Thank you in advance!

-BroncoBoy

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Kiran  KurellaKiran Kurella

Can you try this, which is grouping the results by Id:

String query = 'SELECT aacac.Contact_Id__c varAggContactId, aacac.Type__c varAggType, aacac.Completed_Date__c, COUNT(Id) varAggCount  FROM Accumulated_Activity__c aacac WHERE (aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Meeting%\' OR aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Call%\') GROUP BY aacac.Contact_Id__c,  aacac.Type__c, aacac.Completed_Date__c';

All Answers

BroncoBoyBroncoBoy

Correction to the code I posted, there was a typo:

String query = 'SELECT aacac.Contact_Id__c varAggContactId, COUNT(aacac.Type__c) varAggCount, aacac.Completed_Date__c FROM Accumulated_Activity__c aacac WHERE (aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Meeting%\' OR aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Call%\') GROUP BY aacac.Contact_Id__c,  aacac.Completed_Date__c';
System.debug(query);

//This Returns

AggregateResult:{varAggCount=4, Completed_Date__c=Thu May 30 00:00:00 GMT 2013, varAggContactId=0033000000JDZklAGH},
AggregateResult:{varAggCount=2, Completed_Date__c=Sun Jun 02 00:00:00 GMT 2013, varAggContactId=0033000000JDZklAGH},

You need to group the results by ContactId, Type and Date. Try the following revised query

String query = 'SELECT aacac.Contact_Id__c varAggContactId, aacac.Type__c varAggType, COUNT(aacac.Type__c) varAggCount, aacac.Completed_Date__c FROM Accumulated_Activity__c aacac WHERE (aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Meeting%\' OR aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Call%\') GROUP BY aacac.Contact_Id__c,  aacac.Type__c, aacac.Completed_Date__c';

System.debug(query);

If this post solves your problem kindly mark it as solution and throw Kudos.

BroncoBoyBroncoBoy

When I try that, I get the error:  FATAL_ERROR System.QueryException: Grouped field should not be aggregated: Type__c.  Thoughts?

Can you try this, which is grouping the results by Id:

String query = 'SELECT aacac.Contact_Id__c varAggContactId, aacac.Type__c varAggType, aacac.Completed_Date__c, COUNT(Id) varAggCount  FROM Accumulated_Activity__c aacac WHERE (aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Meeting%\' OR aacac.Type__c LIKE \'%Call%\') GROUP BY aacac.Contact_Id__c,  aacac.Type__c, aacac.Completed_Date__c';

This was selected as the best answer
BroncoBoyBroncoBoy

That worked thank you very much!

-BB