function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Arun KArun K 

Distinct valuesin SOQL

I have table where I am getting records from method called foo

Now I want to get only distinct values.

How to get that.

Below is my code where I am getting records

"

public list<footprint__c> getfoot()
{

foo=[select id,name ,Territory__c,User__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') Order By User__c ];

return foo;
}

"

How to get that.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Sean TanSean Tan

You're second re-query won't really filter those records out (since multiple records may match the name).

Try something like this which just maintains a map based off the name value of your Footprint__c object. The logic will take the "last" record that matches the name (I've made it case insensitive... if you want it to be case sensitive remove the toLowerCase())

{        
    Map<String, Footprint__c> footprintMap = new Map<String, Footprint__c>{};

for (Footprint__c item : [select id,name ,User__c,Account__c,AxtriaCallPlan__Call_String_Name__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') and AxtriaCallPlan__User__c!=:totalCalls Order By User__c ])
    {
        //Case insensitive?? If not remove the toLowerCase
        footprintMap.put(item.Name.toLowerCase(), item);
    }

return footprintMap.values();    
}

All Answers

Arun KArun K

thanks for that.

That made me to go in right direction

But i couldnt get unique records

Am I missing anything

Here is my updated code

"

{

List<footprint__c> lFINAL = New List<footprint__c>();
Set<String> sNames = New Set<String>();
lFINAL =[select id,name ,Territory__c,User__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') and AxtriaCallPlan__User__c!=:totalCalls Order By User__c ];
// foo=[select id,name ,AxtriaCallPlan__Account__r.ownerid from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') ];

for (Integer i = 0; i< lFINAL .size(); i++)
{
sNames .add(lFINAL [i].Name); // contains distict accounts
}
return lFINAL ;
}

"

Rajesh SriramuluRajesh Sriramulu

HI,

Try this

U need to return Snames not IFinal.

{

lFINAL =[select id,name ,Territory__c,User__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage(

).getParameters().get('id') and AxtriaCallPlan__User__c!=:totalCalls Order By User__c ];
// foo=[select id,name ,AxtriaCallPlan__Account__r.ownerid from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') ];

{
}
return sNames;
}

Regards,

Rajesh.

Arun KArun K

When I try to return sNames

It is giving the error and not saving

Return value must be of type: LIST<Footprint__c> at line 28 column 9

Rajesh SriramuluRajesh Sriramulu

Hi,

sorry try this,

{

lFINAL =[select id,name ,Territory__c,User__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage(

).getParameters().get('id') and AxtriaCallPlan__User__c!=:totalCalls Order By User__c ];

{
}

List<footprint__c> lFINAL1= New List<footprint__c>();

lFINAL1 =[select id,name ,Territory__c,User__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') and AxtriaCallPlan__User__c!=:totalCalls and name In:Snames Order By User__c ];

return lFINAL1;
}

Arun KArun K

Thanks for the reply.

But still I couldnt get the unique values

In Vf page Am writing

as

<apex:pageblocktable value="{!foot}" var="foo" >

here is updated code in apex

{

lFINAL =[select id,name ,User__c,Account__c,AxtriaCallPlan__Call_String_Name__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') and AxtriaCallPlan__User__c!=:totalCalls Order By User__c ];

{
}
List<footprint__c> lFINAL1= New List<footprint__c>();
lFINAL1 =[select id,name ,Territory__c,User__c,Account__c,AxtriaCallPlan__Call_String_Name__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') and AxtriaCallPlan__User__c!=:totalCalls and name In:Snames Order By User__c ];

return lFINAL1;
}

Sean TanSean Tan

You're second re-query won't really filter those records out (since multiple records may match the name).

Try something like this which just maintains a map based off the name value of your Footprint__c object. The logic will take the "last" record that matches the name (I've made it case insensitive... if you want it to be case sensitive remove the toLowerCase())

{        
    Map<String, Footprint__c> footprintMap = new Map<String, Footprint__c>{};

for (Footprint__c item : [select id,name ,User__c,Account__c,AxtriaCallPlan__Call_String_Name__c from footprint__c where AxtriaCallPlan__Account__c=:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id') and AxtriaCallPlan__User__c!=:totalCalls Order By User__c ])
    {
        //Case insensitive?? If not remove the toLowerCase
        footprintMap.put(item.Name.toLowerCase(), item);
    }

return footprintMap.values();    
}

This was selected as the best answer
Arun KArun K

Thanks Sean Tan 

That solved my problem 

Now I could get the Unique fields.

Thanks for the replies S