function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ali MeyerAli Meyer 

Multi-object trigger

Hello,

I'm trying to write a trigger that will do three things: 

1. take info from a custom object 

2. create an account from that info

3. create a contact from that info

I lifted this code from here but I don't really know what I'm doing. I think the first problem is declaring the Account variable; my error message says "Name" does not exist.

Thank you for your help!

trigger CreateContact on Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c (after update, after insert) {

List<Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c> IntakeList = new List<Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c>();
    List<Account> AccList = new List<Account>();
        for(Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c i:Trigger.new){
              Account a = new Account(Name = i.Caller_First_Name__c, RecordTypeId = '012A0000000dlDz'); 
              }
              insert a;
    //newAccount has IDs since been inserted, so parallel list to Trigger.new

Integer cnt = 0;
              if (i.Boolean_Appointment__c = TRUE){
              cnt++;
              continue;
              }
              newContact.add(FirstName = i.Caller_First_Name__c, LastName = i.Caller_Last_Name__c, Date_entered_as_new_patient__c = System.today(), Account = newAccount[cnt].Id);
              cnt++; 
              }
     if (!newContact.isEmpty()) insert newContact;

}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Kamatchi Devi SargunanathanKamatchi Devi Sargunanathan

Hi,

For creating the records in Account & Contact based on the field availability in Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c, just include a condition there thats enough.

Example:

trigger CreateAccountContact on Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c(after update, after insert){
      List<Contact> conList = new List<Contact>();   //change this line
            if(Trigger.IsInsert || Trigger.IsUpdate){
                for(Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c i : trigger.new){

if(i.Field1 != null){  //Include this line

}

}

}

}

Do the changes in the trigger.

Hope this helps you...!

Please give kudos and mark this as a solution, If you found this answer as useful to others as well.

All Answers

Hi,

After analysing your code I understood that you are trying to insert a, that Account insance a is onside the for loop so, its a local variable that lost its scope, while it is refered outside the for loop.

Check the below loop and insert statement in your code,

Account a = new Account(Name = i.Caller_First_Name__c, RecordTypeId = '012A0000000dlDz'); 
              }
              insert a;

keep th insert statement as inside the for loop. 

I would advice not to use two loops to initialize the trigger. You can wirte it in the following way,

trigger CreateAccountContact on Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c(after update, after insert){
      List<Contact> conList = new List<Account>();
                       insert a; //You can directly insert an object

//Also before inserting you can add it in a list and add insert later
                       //in the outside of loop, because list is globally declared
                       Contact c = new Contact(FirstName = i.Caller_First_Name__c,
                                                            LastName = i.Caller_Last_Name__c,
                                                            Date_entered_as_new_patient__c = System.today(),
                                                            Account = a.Id);
                       conList.add(c);
                  }
            insert conList;
         }
  }

In the above trigger do whatever conditions you want to check before inserting your records.

Please give kudos and mark this as a solution, If you found this answer as useful to others as well.

Ali MeyerAli Meyer

Thanks so much for this! When I entered your code, I got an error message Compile Error: Illegal assignment from LIST<Account> to LIST<Contact> at line 2 column 7, and then if I changed that Compile Error: Invalid initial expression type for field Account, expecting: SOBJECT:Account (or single row query result of that type) at line 11 column 71 (which is the Account = a.id line)

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Sorry while typing I missed something wrong,

Try this code,

//Also before inserting you can add it in a list and add insert later
                       //in the outside of loop, because list is globally declared
                                                            AccountID = a.Id);  //change this line
                       conList.add(c);
                  }
            insert conList;
         }
  }

Hope this helps you...!

Ali MeyerAli Meyer

Thanks so much for this. The code compiles without error, but nothing happens when I create a new record on the intake object--neither the account nor the contact record is created. Any ideas why?

Thanks again for your help.

If you create record in Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c object, you will get the Account and contact created accordingly with the informations you provided.

Check again!!

Hope this helps you...!

Ali MeyerAli Meyer

Thank you so much for this! One last question: if I wanted to include a conditional (ie create the contact and account if field X on the intake object = true), where should I include that? Can it put it in here:  if(Trigger.IsInsert || Trigger.IsUpdate){  ?

Thank you!!

Hi,

For creating the records in Account & Contact based on the field availability in Intake_Phone_Screen_Information__c, just include a condition there thats enough.

Example:

}

}

}

}

Do the changes in the trigger.

Hope this helps you...!

This was selected as the best answer
Ali MeyerAli Meyer

Just one more question! Is there a way that I can add the newly created contact ID into a lookup field on the intake record? I don't see how this would work in a before trigger, but I'm holding out hope. 

Thank you so much!

Hi,

Then try the following,

AccountID = a.Id);  //change this line
                       insert c; //Directly inserting a contact, so that this id can be assigned to ContactID__c lookup field in Intake

i.ContactID__c = c.id;  //Include this line too, So Lookup field (ContactID__c) in Intake will be assigned with contact created newly
                     }
                }        
         }
  }

Hope this helps you...!