function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
eastweastw 

Extending SalesForce UI

Hello there!

I'm new to the SalesForce. I'm ASP.NET developer and right now just analyzing how much flexibility and customization capability does SalesForce provide.

What I'm interested in is that Is there a way that  I can extend /tweak the existing  salesForce UI; I mean adding AJAX to enhance user experience on the VisualForce  pages or the way the user interacts.

If thats not the case then I have to build all the salesforce pages in ASP.NET using the web services to interact with salesforce API.
Plz help me with this.

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
MyGodItsColdMyGodItsCold
When I first investigated Visualforce (last fall), I took the manual (online pdf), and started duplicating the examples in the book and making minor mods to them. I strongly recommend it - not only will it show you such things as AJAX calls on mouseover's - but it will give you a flavor for the thinking, and why the tagging + possible over-ride / enhancing of stock functionality thru APEX and javascript is a winning combination.

In many ways, the messy javascript work has been front-ended into tags, and the data structure manipulation power is still at your fingertips.

But even this description understates the reality of what's possible with unbelieveablely short time to delivery.

I recall in the mid 80's, there were contests of which development environment could deliver a system from spec the fastest. One of my favorites, Advanced Revelation, was frequently dominant. Force.com would have blown it away. The more you get into this, and as you see it evolve, you'll have a finer appreciation for what they must be doing behind the scenes.