function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AlexCRMmanagerAlexCRMmanager 

Uninstalling Outlook Edition 3 Erases Stored Passwords

Twice now, I've installed and uninstalled Outlook Edition 3 (on 2 separate user accounts in Windows), and the uninstall process has erased all of my stored passwords in Windows (such as the password to my POP3 e-mail address). I went through the Microsoft Knowledge Base article to correct the problem, but it doesn't seem to help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275465

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Outlook Edition before?
djkdjk
Not only did it erase my passwords, but it has left me unable to save new ones; they simply won't stick.  POP3 accounts seem to work as long as I keep entering the password, but IMAP accounts now simply don't work.  No matter what I type in the password, it will not relay the password.  And this is just the half of it.  Autocomplete passwords stopped working on IE7 (won't save), and Remote Desktop now won't connect to anything...

The Microsoft Knowledge Base articles have been no help.  Re-intalling Office and IE was no help.  This has been a disaster.

Any solutions?

djk,

Salesforce.com has identified the source of this problem, and is creating a fix for it. The problem is actually caused by the InstallShield software that is used to install Outlook Edition. InstallShield has a bug where it deletes any Windows registry keys that are queried by the installed software upon uninstallation. Salesforce.com will be releasing a new version of Outlook Edition 3.0 to address the issue.

To get your passwords back, all you need to do is to restore the Windows registry key values in:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folder

Log into a user account in Windows that wasn't corrupted by the uninstallation (or create a new user account, or do this on another computer), find the key listed above, and export a .reg file with the appropriate values. Log back into the user account that lost the passwords, and run the .reg file to import the values back into the registry. Restart your computer, and your passwords will be restored!!

If you have any problems with this, let me know. Also, you can contact Salesforce.com, as they can help you now that they are aware of the issue.

Good luck!!

djkdjk
It worked!  Thank you!  Now, do you know any way to re-attached the hair I've pulled out in the last 18 hours trying to figure this out?
Hooray!! You're quite welcome!!

Haha, I'm still working on a fix to the second problem....its not looking good... :smileysad:
kevrockevroc
Excellent solution.  Thanks!