function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
StefanStefan 

Microsoft Access and Salesforce

Is it possible to view Salesforce data in Microsoft Access, either directly or alternatively by e.g. using VBA and automation to login and refresh an Excel spreadsheet linked to a Salesforce report via the addin?
AMartinAMartin

Hi Stefan

I do this for several reports that I need to work on in Access.

Step 1. Create the required reports in sfdc.
Step 2. Using the Office Edition add-on, import these reports into a Excel workbook. Save workbook.
Step 4. In an Access database, create a new table by selecting New...Link Table...Browse out the workbook and follow the wizard.

Everytime you want to see the current data in Access, open the Excel workbook and refresh it.  If you are using Access queries to join sfdc tables please remember that Access is not case-sensitive and you cannot use sfdc's id fields (Account ID, Contact ID, Opportunity ID) to join the tables.  I've created a custom autonumber field for each of these objects and I use those fields for joining tables in Access

Hope this helps.

Aiden

StefanStefan
I was really looking for a way to automate the above process. So I did not have to open Excel to refresh, but could refresh from Access.
smiley2345smiley2345

I too am looking for this solution.  I created small vba script to at least open the spreadsheet when they clicked a button so they wouldn't have to search for the excel file.  Problem is Excel toolbar is not visible when I do it this way.  If I open excel file from network drive Excel Addin tool bar is there.  Funny thing is the Excel Connector is there.  So I might just opt for that way.

StefanStefan
I wonder why Salesforce don't supply an out of the box free of charge ODBC or OleDB driver for Ms Access, SQL Server.
forceAMPforceAMP
DBAmp is an OLE DB Provider for salesforce.com that works with SQL Server. Then you can connect Access directly to SQL Server to get to salesforce data. If you don't have SQL Server, use the free SQL Server Express. Look for DBAmp on the AppExchange.
StefanStefan
Ideally I am looking for a no or low cost option especially as we have not decided which way we will go long term with SAP ERP integration.
gabbrogabbro
I have the same problem: I built some Excel Reports and I need to manage them directly from an Access mdb.

Probably we have the same situation, because I should consider a low cost solution, i.e coding some VBA procedures.
Jorge RinconJorge Rincon
It is possible by creating a Form with WebBrowser Objet and link it to the Report in SalesForce and Loop thru the HTML Object table (Report)
Phillip WightPhillip Wight
You can do this easily without excel.  You need to go to access and hit external data....new data source...from online services....from salesforce....you will need your login and password along with a secuity token.
From there you select the files you want to bring in.

Be careful on using the above mentioned creating reports in SF first as the export on that is limited to 2000 rows which is hardnly anything.  bad thing about access is that it will bring in the whiole SF obejct where excel will let you build filters and pick rows etc.... anyone knowing how to do this in Access please let me know.  For now I bring it in and use VBA to delete the rows that I don't need.

You can build linked tables or local tables.  Linked tobles you need to enter your below info upon refreshing.

Take care,

MoatnGator
User-added image
David VieiraDavid Vieira

The problem is when using access it retrieves all the records with no filtering

It whoulf be great to link to report data as in excell

Regard