function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Amber NeillAmber Neill 

Difference between using "Outlook" and "Connect Offline"

Please forgive my ignorance, but what are the functionality differences between using Outlook and using Force.com's Connect Offline?

My Sales team already uses Outlook (not integrated yet, and thus this question), so that seems the obvious choice.  I just want to make sure I'm looking at this from the right angle.

Any thoughts, suggestions, warnings or comments are appreciated!
Amber

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Connect Offline is a completely separate Client from Connect for Outlook, or Connect for Office.  

Connect for Outlook does not support updates to the Account, Contact, or Opportunity Object (just Tasks and Events that are associated to them) 

Connect Offline allows users to keep a "briefcase" of Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, and Custom Objects stored locally on their Laptop that they can continue to work on, if they are unable to connect to SFDC through the Web (which can be pretty handy for remote users during the winter if they lose their ISP) or if they are on the road, and unable to find a secure Wi-Fi Hub. 

Any updates they make to the Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, and Custom Objects while Offline  can be synchronized with SFDC the next time they are able to connect to the Web.  

Message Edited by Stevemo on 02-19-2009 12:51 PM
Message Edited by Stevemo on 02-19-2009 01:07 PM