function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jonathanrico.jonathanrico. 

Visual Force Auto Complete Component ;)

Hello everyone, just wanted to share with the community this custom component I made and give something back for the help I've received. :smileyhappy:

The purpose of the component is to enable autocomplete in lookup fields. I used the autocomplete js created by Jim Roos:
(http://www.jimroos.com/2007/05/ajax-autocomplete.html) but made some modifications to it so that it could interact with an Apex controller among some other things...

So my idea was that if you were making a VF page that had an inputfield that was related to a lookupfield you would just insert this autocomplete component to that inputfield. Something like this:

Code:
           <apex:inputField value="{!Contact.accountid}" id="accname" styleClass="cField">
<c:autocomplete ObjectName="Accounts" InputId="{!$Component.accname}" AutoCompleteId="accACid" ClassName="autocomplete300"/>
</apex:inputField>

The component has 4 parameters:

The name of the object or custom object that the inputfield relates to (new objects must be added inside the apex classes since i had some problems constructing a dynamic query).
The InputId which is used to relate the component to the input field
The id for the Component
A classname parameter that basically just defines the width of the suggestions menu.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks like in action:

Here's a link to the file containing the required files:

AutoCompleteComponent

Jonathan.

Message Edited by jonathan rico on 08-16-2008 01:55 PM

Message Edited by jonathan rico on 08-17-2008 09:04 AM
Message Edited by jonathan rico on 01-02-2010 05:01 PM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 

Hello everyone,

I just made a minor update to the component. I fixed an issue with IE freezing because of some JS issues. And also a small issue related to escaping single qoutes.

Autocomplete Component

Hope this solves problems for some of you.

cheers!

All Answers

Ron HessRon Hess
Nice !

Would you mind if we publish this to our open-source repository on code.google.com?

Sure, that would be great.

Thanks Ron.
arasuarasu

Hi Jonathan,

This code is very useful for us. We tried it and loved it but it just has one small problem since the page gets saved whern you select any value from the suggestion list.

Do you know how to stop the page from being "Saved" or "Submitted" when the value is selected from the suggestion drop-down list.

Thanks and regards,
Ambili

Hey hello,

Awesome, good to hear it's working for you. About the save issue.. you mean the page gets saved when you hit enter? or the tab key?
kgrasukgrasu
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The page does a "save" action when I use the arrow keys(down arrow) to select a value from the auto-complete drop-down list and when after I hit the "Enter" key to select the desired value.  (I realised that this was the only way to select a value from the auto-complete list because the mouse-over select using the mouse was not working for some reason)

Basically  we need the value from the dynamic auto-complete to be just populated in the text-field that has the auto-complete component enabled without having a Submit or Save action after selecting the value.

Do you know why this "Save" action might be happening after a value is selected using the enter key?
Also I noticed that the values cannot be selected using the mouse...and hence I had to user the down-arrow key.

We are using Internet explorer 6.0 and 7.0.

We greatly appreciate your valuable feedbacks on this.

Thanks and regards,
Ambili

Actually, you should be able to select a value using "Tab" key instead of the enter key. The problem with the enter key.. (i'm still trying to find a workaround for this) is that it triggers the action of the first rendered button in your page.

This is a default action of VF pages, but I'll let you know if i find a workaround for this issue.
And for the mouse over event, i've just added some more javascript to detect the onmouse over event, i'll post the new version of the autocomplete as soon as i can.

kgrasukgrasu
Hi Jonathan,

I managed to find a solution for the page submit issue when "Enter" key is pressed.

Using JavaScript to prevent or trigger form submission when ENTER is hit<script type="text/javascript"> function noenter() { return !(window.event && window.event.keyCode == 13); } function enter(nextfield) { if(window.event && window.event.keyCode == 13) { nextfield.focus(); return false; } else return true; } function entsub(event,ourform) { if (event && event.which == 13) ourform.submit(); else return true;} </script>
  • Include the following element into the head part of your document:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function noenter() {
      return !(window.event && window.event.keyCode == 13); }
    </script>
  • Add the following attribute into each input type="text" tag(s) in your form:
    onkeypress="return noenter()"

Thanks and regards,
Ambili

This works great!

Thank you.
lancehaeberlelancehaeberle

Jonathan,

Do you know a way to have a custom lookup page display instead of the standard VF lookup page?

I would hire you to implement this if you have a solution.

Lance@StudioITinc.com

djathomsondjathomson

That almost worked for me. Instead, I have this function:

<script>

function disableEnterKey(e)
{
     var key;    
     if(window.event)
          key = window.event.keyCode; //IE
     else
          key = e.which; //firefox    

return (key != 13);
}

</script>

and then call  onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)"

inside my   <apex:inputField> tag(s).

Thanks!

PaulATPimptastiPaulATPimptasti

Hi Johnathan,

Great post, has been a real help.  One issue I have found it with getting the Auto Suggest function to work in data tables with columns.  The lookup works, however the suggestions seem to get hidden behind the subsequent input field in the table.

I'm not that clued up on CSS / JavaScript so don't really know where to start looking, so if you could provide any guideance that would be a great help.

Code below:

<apex:page standardController="Contact" sidebar="false"> <script type="text/javascript" src="{!URLFOR($Resource.autocompletejs)}" /> <apex:stylesheet value="{!$Resource.autocompletecss}"/> <style> .cField{ width:300px; } </style> <script> function disableautocomplete() { var forms = document.getElementsByTagName('form'); for (var i = 0; i < forms.length; ++i) { if (forms[i].setAttribute) { forms[i].setAttribute('autocomplete', 'off') } else { forms[i].autocomplete = 'off' } } } if (window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', disableautocomplete, true) } else if (window.attachEvent) { window.attachEvent('onload', disableautocomplete) } else { window.onload = disableautocomplete } </script> <apex:sectionHeader title="Contacts AC Sample Page" subtitle="Select Account" /> <apex:form id="VFformid" > <apex:pageBlock title="Contact Edit"> <apex:pageBlockButtons > <apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save" /> <apex:commandButton action="{!cancel}" value="Cancel"/> </apex:pageBlockButtons> <apex:pageBlockTable title="Information" columns="1" value="{!Contact}" var="con"> <apex:column> <apex:inputField value="{!Contact.lastname}"/> </apex:column> <apex:column> <apex:inputField value="{!Contact.firstname}" styleClass="cField"/> </apex:column> <apex:column> <apex:inputField value="{!Contact.accountid}" id="accname" styleClass="cField"> <c:autocomplete Width="300" ClassName="autocomplete" InputId="{!$Component.accname}" AutoCompleteId="accACid" ObjectName="Account" /> </apex:inputField> </apex:column> </apex:pageBlockTable > </apex:pageBlock> </apex:form> </apex:page>

MrutyunjayMrutyunjay

Hi

Thanks for this componet ,I have used this component in one of my project.

But I have small issue in searching,if I put "a" it show me the result which contains character "a".

But I want my result should be starts with "a".

So how can I do this in this componet.

Please please help me out.

Thanks

Hi Mrutyunjay,

You will need to edit the stext variable in the Autocomplete Controller.  

Change from this:

String stext = '%'+System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('aname')+'%';

To this:

String stext = System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('aname')+'%';

Removing the % from the front of the string ensures the wildcard matching starts after the value you enter as opposed to including the value you enter.

% is to SSQL / SQL what * is to file system searches.

e.g. Searching for files containing A would be: *A* and files starting with A would be: A*

Hope that helps.

Paul 

MrutyunjayMrutyunjay

Thank for this response.

I have done this lot of time but unfortunately this does not work in this code.I donot know this show "No result" always.

Can you please check this in your code please.

Hi Mrutyunjay,

I tested it before I posted my reply and it worked as expected, if you can post the code you are using perhaps we can see where it is failing.

Cheers

Paul 

MrutyunjayMrutyunjay

This is my code I am using for product lookup 

public PageReference searchSuggestions() {

//Initalize variables, hasparams just indicates that a search has started
        resultsname.clear();  
        hasparams = true;
        hasnoresults = false;

//Obtain current parameters
        String sobjectname = System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('objectname');
        String stext ='%'+ System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('aname')+'%';

//Limit Suggestions to 10 Results
        Integer iLimit = 10;

//Validate if there's an input and get results

if(stext.length() > 2){

try{

String sql = 'select name from ' + sobjectname + ' where name like \''+stext+'\' limit '+ iLimit;

for(sobject x : Database.query(sql)){

String s  = (String)(x.get('name'));
                        resultsname.add(s);
                    }

}catch(Exception e){

resultsname.add('Unexpected Error, please contact support');   
        }

}
       return null;
  }

MrutyunjayMrutyunjay

This is my VF page code 

<apex:outputText >Products</apex:outputText>
            <apex:panelGrid columns="2">
            <apex:inputField value="{!SFDC_520_QuoteLine__c.Product2__c}" id="prdname" styleClass="cField">
            <c:autocomplete Width="200" ClassName="autocomplete" InputId="{!$Component.prdname}" AutoCompleteId="Prductid" ObjectName="Product2" />

Hi,

You code shows a % before and after the .get('aName') when assigning the sText variable.  So that's your problem.

Paul 

GauravKumarGauravKumar

Hi All,

Can anybody help me how can i implement Filtered Lookup using this, Means one lookup value is filtered on the behalf of other lookup value selection ?

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't visited this post in a while. Some of may have noticed that using this component in IE may freeze the browser, there's a problem with an onblur function in javascript that might be causing a loop. I'll update the new version with this fixed as soon as possible and let you know so you can download the newest version.

GauravKumar:

Do you have reference from one lookup to the other? This is an interesting case, a dependant autocomplete... If you have a way to reference the master lookup from the dependant lookup then you could try modifying the autocomplete component to recieve and id of the master lookup. Then on the onchange action of the masterlookup rerender the dependant autocomplete so that it contains the value of the new masterlookup.

Then you will need to modify the AutoCompleteController to filter entries by the id provided in the master lookup parameter..

Hope this helps you.

GauravKumarGauravKumar

Hi

Yes Some has Refrence and some has not.

Yes i have modified My Controller Class and My Filtered Lookup works Fine in Case of Pre Selected Value and On Record Edit.But for e.g When I create New Record and suppose select any Account and then i will select Contact then Contact is not filtered on the befahlf of selected Account.

And In Edit Case Suppose Selected Account is "A" and Selecteec Contact is "C" then in Contact lookup in Auto Complete this will shows all contact which Account is "A". but when I Change "Account "A" to Account "B" then Contact lookup Auto Complete will not Showing result on the Behalf of Account "B" this is showing Previouse Contact list (All Contact which Account is "A").

Can Any Body help me how can i refresh values on on Lookup value selection.

waylonatcimwaylonatcim

First off, thank you for writing this app and making it available, it's awesome. 

Now to my issue.....

I'm trying to get this to work inside of a repeat tag with no luck.  The search box says "searching", but always returns an empty result set.  I'm not seeing any javascript errors and I don't believe it's a unique ID situation because I'm using a list that only has 1 record in it.  Has anyone else tried to get it working in a repeat tag, successful or otherwise?

Thanks!

Hey there,

Can you post your VF code?

GauravKumarGauravKumar

Thanks Everybody for Reply.

I figure out  my Problem now My AutoComplete Filtered Lookup is Working. :)

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I just made a minor update to the component. I fixed an issue with IE freezing because of some JS issues. And also a small issue related to escaping single qoutes.

Autocomplete Component

Hope this solves problems for some of you.

cheers!

This was selected as the best answer
BCSFDC1974BCSFDC1974

How come when I try and save the component I get

Error: Literal value is required for attribute id in <apex:outputPanel> at line 20 column 30

yes, i'm having the same issue. Trying to figure out what changed..

I'll let you know as soon as I have a fix for this. 

I had the same issue.  You need to set the API version of the VF page and component to v15.  It seems that after v15 sf.com changed something that stops the use of dynamic IDs.

Hope that helps. 

Yes, It's seems that new versions of the API don't play nice with dynamic IDs. Thanks for the reply.
Any time.  Thanks for contributing the controller in the first place! ;-)
MMA_FORCEMMA_FORCE

Awesome thank you

but I get an error on my component

Literal value is required for attribute id in <apex:outputPanel> at line 20 column 30

???

Try changing the current API version of the component to 15.

<apiVersion>15.0</apiVersion> 

MMA_FORCEMMA_FORCE
Great... That worked.. One more thing did anyone write a testmethod for this? Do you have one?

Yeah, I forgot to put in the testmethods, I'll add them in the apex class as soon as I have a chance.

MMA_FORCEMMA_FORCE

Another question... This is great for inputting data, but what happens if I created a controller, and I want to look up someone in a textbox, so that my report is dynamically created once the filter is in...

So something like

InputText = Type something (AutoComplete comes up)

I need an autocomplete for reporting purposes not inputting data... Is that possible with your tool?

So basically what you want is for the autocomplete component to come in place when a specific input is detected? If this is the case, what will the specific input define? The object on which the autocomplete filters on?

mmaxtrammaxtra

Hmm I think so... Basically I have a search box which is a reference field to this object.. So let say..

Contact input box and as soon as I type into the inputbox ... autocomplete does it magic and then I can have the user hit go and a report will show up based on that inputbox...

Can that happen?

Ah, so what you want is to launch a report with the selected autocomplete suggestion as a parameter so that your report can filter based on that parameter.

This is definitley possible, but you will need to customize the component.. You will need to modify the selection event so that it opens a new window with a report. You can send the name of the selected option as a criteria for the report using url parameters. The parameter pv0 refers to the first criteria parameter, pv1 to the second and so on..

so your url will look something like this:

http://YOURSFDCINSTANCE.salesforce.com/YOURREPORTID?pv0=AUTOCOMPLETESUGGESTIONID&pv1=OTHERCRITERIAFIELD

Now, if you need the ID of the selected option , then that's another story. This will require more customization on the controller side because you will need to have a mapping of Name to ID so that you can see the names as suggestions but when you click an option send the  ID of the option as a paramter for the report. 

LarryLeoLarryLeo
This is great. Can't wait to try it out.
MMA_FORCEMMA_FORCE

Question about this autocomplete...

If i wanted  the billingState to appear when they lookup an account with the accountname.. How would I do that.. I did add the BillingState to the component but do not see it appear..

For example:

when the user types in:

for an existing account which is autohonda and billing state is NY

so when the user types in auto

all of the auto autocomplete comes up that is great

but want

autohonda|NY

autocompl|NJ

the billing state will have no effect  on the id itself just need it to appear....

Thanks

sachinchsachinch

Hi Jonathan - Thanks for developing such a nice component.

I was looking for this new version of AutoComplete to download with link. It gives page not found error.
sachinchsachinch
Hi Paul - Did you get solution for this? I am facing the same issue.

Hi Sachinch

What is your issue? 

sachinchsachinch
When I use this component I get Searchin... it does not show the list to select from. But if I try to save the page it asks me to select from a list of contacts populated.
sachinchsachinch

Hi Jonathan - Please see my code below. What I get is no value selection from the drop down list. It looks like it is working in the background though.

<apex:page standardController="Account" sidebar="false">

<script type="text/javascript" src="{!URLFOR($Resource.autocompletejs)}" />
    <apex:stylesheet value="{!$Resource.autocompletecss}"/>   

<style>

.cField{
        width:300px;
    }
</style>

<script>

//This is a small workaround for getting the component to work with the enter key
        //I'll include this behavior as part of the component in a next release
         function noenter(e){

var key;   
             if(window.event)
                  key = window.event.keyCode; //IE
             else
                  key = e.which; //firefox   

return (key != 13);   

}

function disableautocomplete() {
          var forms = document.getElementsByTagName('form');

for (var i = 0; i < forms.length; ++i) {
            if (forms[i].setAttribute) {
              forms[i].setAttribute('autocomplete', 'off')
            } else {
              forms[i].autocomplete = 'off'
            }
          }
        }

if (window.addEventListener) {
          window.addEventListener('load', disableautocomplete, true)
        } else if (window.attachEvent) {
          window.attachEvent('onload', disableautocomplete)
        } else {
          window.onload = disableautocomplete
        }

</script>

<apex:sectionHeader title="Contacts AC Sample Page" subtitle="Select Account" />

<apex:form id="VFformid" > 
           <apex:pageBlock title="Hello {!$User.FirstName}!">
                  You are viewing the {!account.name} account.
              </apex:pageBlock>

<apex:pageBlock title="Programs">
              <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!account.Contacts}" var="contact">
                 <apex:facet name="header">Contact Name</apex:facet>
                 <apex:column >
                     <apex:outputField value="{!contact.Name}"/>
                 </apex:column>   
                 <apex:facet name="header">Reports To</apex:facet>
                 <apex:column >
                     <apex:inputField onkeypress="return noenter(event)" value="{!contact.reportsToId}" id="cname" styleClass="cField">
                         <c:autocomplete Width="300" ClassName="autocomplete" InputId="{!$Component.cname}" AutoCompleteId="accACid" ObjectName="User" />
                 </apex:column>
              </apex:pageBlockTable>
           </apex:pageBlock>
    </apex:form>

</apex:page>

LarryLeoLarryLeo

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting KeyEvents working under IE8. Specifically, KeyUp, KeyDown, Enter all aren't functioning.

Using the component for an InputText field and everything works fine minus KeyEvents on IE8. Firefox is working fine. DId some research and it seems certain IE8 does have issues supporting some Java KeyEvents.

Any help would be appreciated.

anjs2976anjs2976

Hello,

We have a similar requirement to provide autocomplete control on custom vfp page. Few queries:

1) Is the code available for free and can be used for production? Any cost associated with it ?  Where can I find the latest code? Please provide me the link or access to the latest code.

2) Is the control available for custom vfp pages too?

anjs2976anjs2976

Hello,

I tested the component code as it is without doing any changes in firefox. However, I am getting no results on UI. It keeps on showing Searching...... I put some logs in the code and the result is showing values in getResultsname function. Please let me know what could be the reason of this. Am I missing anything?

Also, please respond to my earlier queries as to whether its possible with custom vfp pages?

Hi everyone, sorry for taking so long to answer to your questions.

Could you please give me more information about the API version you're using in your pages/controllers.

I'll try to reproduce the issue.

Regarding the previous questions. This code is free and you may use it in any vfpage.

One of the purposes of this component is to save some time for developers that face this requirement, so if you use it and you happen to find a bug please let the rest of us know( and if possible give a solution...) The same applies for any improvement to the code.

anjs2976anjs2976

Hello Jonathen,

Thanks for the response.

I downloaded the code that is available on in one of your post here. Not sure if thats the latest. Can you please provide me the latest code.

Regarding the API version, my page, component and controller all are api version 18. The logs in background(server side) do show the data in getresultsname but the UI doesnt show up.  I am testing on Firefox 3.6.3

Its a bit at priority for my project, so I would wait for your response eagerly.

I guess sachinch is also facing similar problem. 

Thanks

Hey,

Have you tried changing the API version of the component to 15? The behavior of the ID attribute of the components changed after i published this component.

I need to figure out another way of setting a dynamic id for the components, untill I have an answer for this please try changing the API version of the component.

Let me know if this worked for you.

anjs2976anjs2976

Hi Jonathen

Thanks for your quick response. I really appreciate that.  Yeah I just tried changing the API version to 15 and setting the dynamic ID back to panel in component and it works fine. I opened up the post to sent you the finding but you have been too nice and fast in identifying the cause.

I will now implement it on my custom page. Thanks again!!

Christ.atcChrist.atc

Hello ,

Thanks for this great piece of code jonathan.

I am trying to customize the query so that i can choose the field instead of name .

//Obtain current parameters
        String sobjectname = System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('objectname');
        String stext = '%'+String.escapeSingleQuotes(System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('aname').trim())+'%';
        String sobjectfield = System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('objectfield');

//Limit Suggestions to 10 Results
        Integer iLimit = 10;

//Validate if there's an input and get results

if(stext.length() > 2){

try{

String sql = 'select' +sobjectfield+ ' from    '+ sobjectname + ' where '+sobjectfield+' like \''+stext+'\' or synonym__c like \''+stext+'\' limit '+ iLimit;

for(sobject x : Database.query(sql)){

String s  = String.escapeSingleQuotes(((String)(x.get(sobjectfield))));
		        		resultsname.add(s);	
		        	}

I have put in  

String sobjectfield = System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('objectfield')

and also added  it to the query  but keep getting Unexpected Error, please contact support as result!   if I replace the +sobjectfield+   in the query and just replace name by test_autocomplete__c it just works fine.

The problem seem that i dont know how to assign  the sobjectfield  to the one define in the page.

<apex:inputField onkeypress="return noenter(event)" value="{!Job_Application__c.test_autocomplete__c}" id="accname" styleClass="cField">
           	<c:autocomplete Width="300" ClassName="autocomplete" InputId="{!$Component.accname}" AutoCompleteId="accACid" ObjectField="test_autocomplete__c"  ObjectName="Job_Application__c" />

and the component

<apex:component controller="AutoComplete_Controller">

<apex:attribute name="InputId" description="Id of the InputField to which the AutoComplete Componente will belong, use {!$Componente.THEID}" type="String" required="true"/>
<apex:attribute name="AutoCompleteId" description="Unique Id for this AutoComplete Component" type="String" required="true" />
<apex:attribute name="ObjectName" description="This is the lookup Object." type="String" required="true"/>

<apex:attribute name="ObjectField" description="This is the field of the lookup Object." type="String" required="true"/>

<apex:attribute name="ClassName" description="This is the name of the CSS Class used to style the AutoComplete Menu." type="String" required="true"/>
<apex:attribute name="Width" description="AutoComplete Width, In case you need to adjust it for certain inputs" type="Integer" required="true"/>

<apex:actionFunction name="search{!AutoCompleteId}" action="{!searchSuggestions}" rerender="OP_" immediate="true" >
             <apex:param name="aname" value="" />
             <apex:param name="objectname" value="" />
             <apex:param name="objectfield" value="" />
           </apex:actionFunction>

I would be very grateful if you could help me out   !

B2000B2000

Jonathan,

Your AutoComplete component is great.  I am trying to make a minor adjustment but am not very familiar with HTML and CSS.  When the component displays the list of values, the background color behind the text is clear, thus it is difficult to see the values.  In your original example, the background is a light blue and the seleted value is a darker blue. The non-opaque background helps see the possible values better than the opaque background.  Can you tell me which CSS values need to be set for the background color and selected value in the CSS/Component please. Thanks.

Neha JNeha J

Hi Jonathan - Thanks for developing such a nice component. It helped me out a lot.

But i am facing an issue i am creating a pageblocktable in which i am using an inputfield, so the field is repeating the number of elements in the list.

On click of textbox i am able to get the Data, but the textbox only displays seaching... i have rendered result directly on output panel and it displays the result but not able to view it on the dropdown with textbox. It displays ony searching...

Waiting for your response.

Thanks

Neha J

mevin55mevin55

Hello

This is a great component

does anyone has the testmethod?

GurpreetGurpreet

Hi Jonathan,

Great Post:)

The component is works only if you place single tag for component on Page. I tried to place 2 tag for component for two different lookup, then its not working.

Please correct if I am wrong.

Thanks for posting such a good component

Thanks

Gurpreet

bcgbcg

Hello,

Am also facing the same problem while implementing this. if you find solution for this please reply.......i need solution for this.

"

Thanks for this componet ,I have used this component in one of my project.

But I have small issue in searching,if I put "a" it show me the result which contains character "a".

But I want my result should be starts with "a".

So how can I do this in this componet.

"

Thanks In Advance.

krish4ukrish4u

Hi,

The auto complete component doesnt working for product lookup please help on this. It is urgent for client. It is working for all except for product. Give any suggestion.

Thanks,

Krish

krish4ukrish4u

Hi,

I am using auto complete its working for all objects except product object. It is very urgent for client. please give me suggesion.

please find below my code:

<apex:inputField value="{!a.Product__c}"  onkeypress="return noenter(event);"  id="prod"><c:autoCompleteController objectname="Product2" additionalfield="TickerSymbol" autocomplete_textbox="{!$Component.prod}" /></apex:inputField>

thanks

krish

nagalakshminagalakshmi

Hi,

how to use auto complete component for text box. please help me.

Thanks,

lakshmi.

PG1978PG1978

I put this solution in my developer env. I am having 2 problem:

• I was getting " Error: Literal value is required for attribute id in <apex:outputPanel> in AutoCompelte at line 20 column 68" on line "<apex:outputPanel id="OP_{!AutoCompleteId}" layout="block">" I replaced id with "<apex:outputPanel id="OP_accACid" layout="block"> " So this is working fine for now. But what is the permanent solution for this?
  • when i type in "Account name" field  I just see searching text on Account name field. Can you pls help me?

pankaj1009pankaj1009

How to get ID of selected account in Autocomplete Component ???

Please do rply with example

Thanks

_Prasu__Prasu_

If you check the sample page file in the zip, it contains the following code.

<apex:inputField onkeypress="return noenter(event)" value="{!Contact.accountid}" id="accname" styleClass="cField">
<c:autocomplete Width="300" ClassName="autocomplete" InputId="{!$Component.accname}" AutoCompleteId="accACid" ObjectName="Account" />

In this code Selected account is binded directly to the field {!Contact.accountid}.

Selected account id will be populated in to that field.

Hope thats helps!

pankaj1009pankaj1009

Thanks Prasanna...but how to get that same id in apex in select query...I have done something like,

VF code :

<apex:pageBlockSection title="DataConsumer Relations" columns="1">
<apex:inputField onkeypress="return noenter(event)" value="{!DataConsumer__c.Name}" id="dcname" styleClass="cField">
<c:AutoComplete Width="300" ClassName="autocomplete" InputId="{!$Component.dcname}" AutoCompleteId="Name" ObjectName="DataConsumer__c" />
</apex:pageBlockSection>

Apex code :

public Id SelectedDC {get; set;}
public string SelectedDCName {get; set;}

public PageReference DispDCData()
{

SelectedDC = [Select Id,Name from EBPExtentiaBI__DataConsumer__c where Name=: SelectedDCName limit 1 ].Id;

System.debug('dcname'+SelectedDC );

lstDCData = new List<DataFieldAndSources>();
if (SelectedDC == null)
{
return null;
}

List<EBPExtentiaBI__MapConsumerDataField__c> lstMCDF = [
select EBPExtentiaBI__DataField__c, DataField__r.EBPExtentiaBI__Name__c
from EBPExtentiaBI__MapConsumerDataField__c
where EBPExtentiaBI__DataConsumer__c =: SelectedDC order by id
];

lstDCData = getDataFieldsNSources(lstMCDF);

return null;

}

Please help ???

_Prasu__Prasu_

try this

<apex:inputField onkeypress="return noenter(event)" value="{!DataConsumer__c}" id="dcname" styleClass="cField">
<c:AutoComplete Width="300" ClassName="autocomplete" InputId="{!$Component.dcname}" AutoCompleteId="Name" ObjectName="DataConsumer__c" />

lstMCDF = [
select EBPExtentiaBI__DataField__c, DataField__r.EBPExtentiaBI__Name__c
from EBPExtentiaBI__MapConsumerDataField__c
where EBPExtentiaBI__DataConsumer__c =:DataConsumer__c order by id
];

pankaj1009pankaj1009
it is giving error here lstMCDF = [ select EBPExtentiaBI__DataField__c, DataField__r.EBPExtentiaBI__Name__c from EBPExtentiaBI__MapConsumerDataField__c where EBPExtentiaBI__DataConsumer__c =:DataConsumer__c order by id <-- here giving an error ]; Error: DataConsumerRelations Compile Error: Variable does not exist: DataConsumer__c at line 70 column 60
yud1234yud1234

Hi Jonathan nice post.

I have a question. suppose on 'Test account 1' I have Phone field with value '3333'.  I display 'Phone field' of contact on the page and i want to populate the 'Phone field' of contact with the Phone field of Account when the user clicks 'Test account 1' 

How can i do this.

Jag@SFJag@SF

Thanks for posting such a useful component. I'm looking for the updated version of this component and the link that you had provided no longer exist. So could you kindly re-post the files

regards,

JAG

_Prasu__Prasu_
Jag@SFJag@SF
Thanks Prasanna
-Jag@SF
bujjibujji

Hi,

I downloaded the zip file and try to save the component but it is saying

Error: Literal value is required for attribute id in <apex:outputPanel> in autoComplete at line 20 column 72

at line 20 i have            <apex:outputPanel id="OP_{!AutoCompleteId}" layout="block" >.

what the error.how to rectify it..

Thanks,

Bujji

udaykalyank1.3923045490576467E12udaykalyank1.3923045490576467E12
Hi Jonathan,
Am not able to download your AutoComplete Component.
could you please help i need autocomplete for a text box  to search in a single object using SOSL .
Surgaya KhundrakpamSurgaya Khundrakpam
I need  a comma separated multiple text selection. Will this code support these modification and how do we implement it ?
vijendra raivijendra rai
I have one custom object and on this I have 2 mandatory fields Account Name and Contact Name. Both the fields have lookup relationship with Account and Contact Object respectively. And now I want to achieve Auto Complete on both the lookup fields. For second field which will be “ Contact name” , it will search the contact based on Account selected in Account field. How can I achieve this?  Please help.