function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
heatherwebsterheatherwebster 

Creating a Custom Controller - Has to be Simple

I'm new to Visualforce and I've been trying for over 2 weeks to figure this out and I know it has to be something simple.  Any help is appreciated!

I want to add a custom controller to a page.  Yet every time I try to create it I get the error message
Error: Apex class 'GoldSheet' does not exist
  I've read in many of the tutorials, etc that you should have a link to create the controller as well as read that the controller link should appear next to Page Editor.  But so far I've got nothing.  I've created many "test" pages using the samples from the book and I continue to get nowhere. 

I attempted to try and add an Apex Class under Setup>Develop but I don't have a New button.   Do I need special permissions or am I missing something completely?

Thanks!
Ron HessRon Hess
you cannot create Apex code inside a production org, you will need to build your solution in a developer org, then perform a deploy process to copy this into a production org.

i suspect you are using your normal production org to build your page and controller, which will not work  ( new button missing)
Vivek ViswanathVivek Viswanath
Just an off note you can also build it on sandbox. Its quite simple to make a apex page and link it to a controller. I have enjoyed my experience with it so far. If you need any help I am sure you will find tons on the forum.

Regards

Vivek Viswanathan