function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
fredkafredka 

use page as an inline component.

I have been trying to figure out how to do this without any luck - I want the user to be sent to a visualforce page when they select the lookup field on a custom object.

I have a "Quote" object.  When the user selects a custom button ("add new Quote product") they are sent to a visualforce page based on a custom object (horizonproduct) where they select a product.  They are then sent to the "Quote Products" page (which is a custom object) and the values from the visualforce page are filled in.

My problem is that if they then need to change that products, they are using the lookup for the horizonproduct object which does not take them back to the visualforce page. 

I want them to navigate back to the visualforce page so their selection can overwrite the values previously written.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!

Fred
London BenLondon Ben
Hi Fred,

At risk of oversimplifying this problem...

perhaps you just need to 'override' the edit button on your object - to set the edit function to your VF page?
fredkafredka

Thanks so much for replying!!  The problem with that is I have the lookup field for the horizon product object.  The user can still click the lookup and be directed to the edit page rather than my vf page.

Thanks again!!!

Fred

London BenLondon Ben
Hi Fred,

I'm still convinced this can be resolved by 'overriding' buttons for your horizonproduct object.

If the view/edit/new buttons are changed to your visualforce page - then there is basically no way the users will ever see the standard screen...

Sorry if I'm missing something - if this is the case - i welcome you to post some code or some screenshots somewhere - that steps through the problem to help my understanding?
fredkafredka

Thanks again for the replies.  The current quote product object contains information about our products.  The user starts at a visualforce page that represents another custom object (horizon products) and selects a product.  The information from the visualforce screen (horizon products) is sent to our "quote product" object. 

There is a lookup field for the horizon products object.  One of the pieces of information that is fed from the visualforce page (horizon products) to the quote product is the actual name of the horizon product.

Because of this, there is a lookup field for the horizon products on the quote product screen.  This is so the user knows the name of the product and to tie in the relationship.

Hope that makes sense - thanks again!!!

Fred