function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
marketingguru.ax566marketingguru.ax566 

Trouble sync emails from Outlook to SalesForce

We are new to salesforce and I'm trying to help our sales team get set up with Connect for Outlook. If we try to mark emails for sync, we get an error that says "The item you are trying to mark are not in a folder marked for syncronization." When I go to Tools>Salesforce options I've marked everything for sync, however there doesn't seem to be the same options available on the email tab. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks. 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
AMartinAMartin

Hi,

There are two aspects of the Outlook add-on and I think you are mixing them up.

The add-on allows you to synchronize Outlook tasks, events and contacts with salesforce.com.  You do this by selecting individual tasks, events, or contacts and clicking the "Mark for Synch" button.  And when you have finished marking records, you have to click the "Synch" button to initiate the synchronization process.  Movement of these records can be one way (Outlook to sfdc or sfdc to Outlook) or bi-directional and you configure those settings by clicking on the menubar  Tools...Salesforce Options and then selecting appropriate tab.

The Synch buttons do not work on emails since they are handled differently because you are not synchronizing emails.  You are moving them in a single direction - from Outlook to sfdc.  While viewing your Outlook Inbox, select on an email that you want to move to sfdc.  Then click either the "Add Email" or "Add Case" button from the sfdc Outlook toolbar.  Clicking "Add Email" will create a new Task record in sfdc.  Clicking "Add Case" will use the email to create a new Case in sfdc.  The Add Email and Add Case windows are a little different because creating Tasks and Cases are different.

And it's a good idea to review the Connect for Outlook tipsheet.

https://na5.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/salesforce_outlook_edition_cheatsheet.pdf

Aiden