function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
icemft1976icemft1976 

Create an Object Relationship visual map with VisualForce?

As a developer working side by side with a non-developer admin, I have a real need to be able to coordinate how new fields and validation rules will affect not only my Triggers and Classes, but also my test methods (a common oversight).

As it is - I have been keeping a matrix of our Objects, Custom Objects, Fields and Triggers on a spreassheet. Last night I suddenly thought - what if we could use VisualForce to let admins view our object relationships in a simpler away?

The data is all there, of course, the trick is making a tool that would be usable for my specific purpose. I don't need a change log or versioning system for my apex (that would be nice but overkill). I can see a need to have a usable way to browse SF objects & see what other things (objects, fields and APEX code) could be affected by changes to a given field/object.

I'm interested to see if anyone had thought of this?

Since the tool Im imaginig would by nature have to be able to deal with generic objects, it seems like something a group could contribute to and share the reward. Maybe it's too large of a task or not feisable based on the metadata exposed. If possible, I think the return would be worth it - especiialy for smaller companies like mine (who have limited staff but make lots of changes & additions as we slowly realize what SF can do for us).

Just curious.
London BenLondon Ben
...some form of 'workflow' or 'approval process' visualization would be nice too......

Just wait till you end up with 30+ Opportunity types - with various processes and workflows hanging off them (obviously with similar 'field change' implications as suggested above)

I'm in the same boat - trying to maintain an excel sheet which attempts to provide an overview of the workflows implemented (currently on v138 of the sheet) argh.... 

I'm with you - but I'm of the view that it's about time that salesforce themselves provided an admin tool of this ilk.
icemft1976icemft1976
I hear you. As soon as I posted this I was thinking "this could be something for the idea exchange" - the trick would be figuring out what to post is under so people might find it. I guess that's what tags are for :)

I'll post the idea over there, unless anyone has already done so - then I'll be glad to promote.

I still would like to take a crack at this problem though, if only to be more practiced in Dynamic Apex. If anyone's interested maybe we can start a project and share it through Eclipse/SVN. Just have to carve out some time ot do this....

Message Edited by icemft1976 on 07-22-2008 12:45 PM