function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mr SaaSMr SaaS 

Custom UI between Related Lists on Page Layout?

Hi all

I would like to display a piece of custom UI in a section between two Related Lists on a Page Layout.

Does anyone know whether this is possible please?

I would like to avoid overriding the whole page if possible as Sysadmin will lose ability to configure Page Layout.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy-KraybillJeremy-Kraybill

The "related lists" part of a page layout may only contain related lists. The only way I am aware of to do what you're describing would be to:

- create 2 custom visualforce pages which render the related lists you want to have a custom component between

- create a custom visualforce page which has the custom UI you are referring to

- as long as all 3 of those pages' controllers are StandardController extensions for the page layout's object, they will be available as components to add to the "top" part of the page layout.

The downside here is that although your administrator will be able to still manage the page layouts, you can't mix and match your custom components with the related lists section.

Jeremy Kraybill

Austin, TX

Mr SaaSMr SaaS

Thanks Jeremy

Guys what if we were to override the parent record page?

e.g. if we were to override View on Account with a custom VF page, could we achieve our goal?

Many thanks

Jeremy-KraybillJeremy-Kraybill

Sure, but that is a LOT more work, and has several downsides: mainly, besides the extra work, your admin can no longer use the page layout editor, you have to keep the edit and view pages in sync, and any new custom fields or page layouts require additional coding work.

Jeremy Kraybill

Austin, TX