function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
steve456steve456 

Apex Data Loader ----Insert issue

I have two objects  'Building ' and 'Lease' .Lease is a child of building

I have an excel sheet with all information regrad to building and lease.

What i did is I inserted the information pertaining to 'Building' which is the Master object.All the records were inserted successfully ,Happy tilll here

Next when I tried to insert records for the child object 'Lease'    .I got error for all inserted records.

The error is like this 'Building: id value of incorrect type: XZ006'

Can anybody help me out of this cave

kiranmutturukiranmutturu

how u are inserting the child records?

steve456steve456

through data loader

I am mapping   the lookup field "Building"     to the available field "Building"   which is showing value as refernce

Then i created recordtypeid field in the excel and gave the same recordtypeid value .and map the recordtype id to recordtypeid which has value as reference

kiranmutturukiranmutturu

how u are referencing the accounts in contact csv?

steve456steve456

still i am getting the same errorr

WorkhardWorkhard

Hi,

Steve since you are using the dataloader for importing the record you have to specify the buildindId (salesforce id after inserting of billing records) inside the child object then map this field with billindid in dataloader. Now you will be able to insert the child record with exact billing field vale. But if you are goin to use import wizard i.e. inside the Org then you can use field name as mapping. SO from here you can use your CSV file without mentioning the BillingId. Here you can use the billing field name for mapping but for dataloader you must have to put the salesforce id for all those field which is lookup or masterdetail relation.

Think this will help you.

Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher

You need to insert your parent records first, pull the Ids back out, put those Ids in your child record CSV file, then import the children.

steve456steve456

this is good if you have few records.What happens wen u have records in thousands.

Not a gud idea.I heard that the best possible way is to use v look up. Some one needs to shred light on this

DekorDekor

Annoyingly I had this working in dataloader however since spring release/reformat of my laptop (meaning reinstall of dataloader) I can no longer import lookup fields without using saleforce ID.  I used to be able to specify the external ID of the parent item in the .csv and import.  Alas this is not working now and I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what has changed.