function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MATTYBMEMATTYBME 

Repurposing SF Ideas using VF to create a Discussion Board

We were offered Ideas as the answer to Forums on our Customer Portal but have found it to be not quite what we are looking for. I want to be able to repurpose Ideas using Visualforce with the same look and feel of Ideas but with some modifications.

I am assuming, looking at the Object, that Ideas is created using Visualforce? How can I access the VF code for this and the controllers so that I am not reverse engineering it all to meet my requirements?
dchasmandchasman
I just sent an email to the Ideas team to see what they have to day about this - not really something that is under my team's control/ownership.
MATTYBMEMATTYBME
Doug,

Much appreciated!
BrianWKBrianWK
Please post what you find out. My organization is looking at using Ideas as well as defining a new customer portal page - I could see some definite benefit of utilizing ideas similar to a discussion board for this as well.
JGJG
Both Dell and Starbucks are built on Visualforce, so you could certainly create a site for discussions using the Ideas back end.

This will become a lot easier with the Spring release as we are going to be supplying a base theme and more standard controllers.

My recommendation is to hold off for about a month. Click here for more information on how the base theme is going to work.

JGJG
Here is the link again if it didn't work above.
http://blogs.salesforce.com/ideas/2008/10/visualforce-for.html