function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Adrian-EAdrian-E 

Inline Editing in Visuaforce

Hi,

I was wondering whether there was any attribute for creating inline editable fields.

I am particulalry looking for the same experience as the standard inline editing option in Salesforce = Doubleclicking on the field allows you to edit it.

Nothing found in the documentation.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
TehNrdTehNrd
Inline editing is not supported in VF pages. The only workaround is to have an outputtext/field with an "ondblclick" event handler that on a double click rerenders the section to display as an input field and then onblur of this input field rerender the field back to an output field. You will still need to build your own mouse over highlighting and red text that hasn't been saved.
Message Edited by TehNrd on 02-24-2009 08:57 AM

All Answers

TehNrdTehNrd
Inline editing is not supported in VF pages. The only workaround is to have an outputtext/field with an "ondblclick" event handler that on a double click rerenders the section to display as an input field and then onblur of this input field rerender the field back to an output field. You will still need to build your own mouse over highlighting and red text that hasn't been saved.
Message Edited by TehNrd on 02-24-2009 08:57 AM
This was selected as the best answer
Adrian-EAdrian-E

Thanks a million! Great suggestion!

I'll try implement it, hope I dont run into too many problems... 

SaaspertSaaspert

hi Adrian,

were you able to implement it ? please let me know. thanks

Message Edited by Saaspert on 03-05-2009 02:00 PM
Message Edited by Saaspert on 03-05-2009 02:00 PM
Adrian-EAdrian-E

Yes nad No.

I found this code on www.yvoschaap.com

<script>//script by http://www.yvoschaap.com//XMLHttpRequest class functionfunction datosServidor() {};datosServidor.prototype.iniciar = function() { try { // Mozilla / Safari this._xh = new XMLHttpRequest(); } catch (e) { // Explorer var _ieModelos = new Array( 'MSXML2.XMLHTTP.5.0', 'MSXML2.XMLHTTP.4.0', 'MSXML2.XMLHTTP.3.0', 'MSXML2.XMLHTTP', 'Microsoft.XMLHTTP' ); var success = false; for (var i=0;i < _ieModelos.length && !success; i++) { try { this._xh = new ActiveXObject(_ieModelos[i]); success = true; } catch (e) { } } if ( !success ) { return false; } return true; }}datosServidor.prototype.ocupado = function() { estadoActual = this._xh.readyState; return (estadoActual && (estadoActual < 4));}datosServidor.prototype.procesa = function() { if (this._xh.readyState == 4 && this._xh.status == 200) { this.procesado = true; }}datosServidor.prototype.enviar = function(urlget,datos) { if (!this._xh) { this.iniciar(); } if (!this.ocupado()) { this._xh.open("GET",urlget,false); this._xh.send(datos); if (this._xh.readyState == 4 && this._xh.status == 200) { return this._xh.responseText; } } return false;}var urlBase = "update.php";var formVars = "";var changing = false;function fieldEnter(campo,evt,idfld) { evt = (evt) ? evt : window.event; if (evt.keyCode == 13 && campo.value!="") { elem = document.getElementById( idfld ); remotos = new datosServidor; nt = remotos.enviar(urlBase + "?fieldname=" +encodeURI(elem.id)+ "&content="+encodeURI(campo.value)+"&"+formVars,""); //remove glow noLight(elem); elem.innerHTML = nt; changing = false; return false; } else { return true; }}function fieldBlur(campo,idfld) { if (campo.value!="") { elem = document.getElementById( idfld ); remotos = new datosServidor; nt = remotos.enviar(urlBase + "?fieldname=" +escape(elem.id)+ "&content="+escape(campo.value)+"&"+formVars,""); elem.innerHTML = nt; changing = false; return false; }}//edit field createdfunction editBox(actual) { //alert(actual.nodeName+' '+changing); if(!changing){ width = widthEl(actual.id) + 20; height =heightEl(actual.id) + 2; if(height < 40){ if(width < 100) width = 150; actual.innerHTML = "<input id=\""+ actual.id +"_field\" style=\"width: "+width+"px; height: "+height+"px;\" maxlength=\"254\" type=\"text\" value=\"" + actual.innerHTML + "\" onkeypress=\"return fieldEnter(this,event,'" + actual.id + "')\" onfocus=\"highLight(this);\" onblur=\"noLight(this); return fieldBlur(this,'" + actual.id + "');\" />"; }else{ if(width < 70) width = 90; if(height < 50) height = 50; actual.innerHTML = "<textarea name=\"textarea\" id=\""+ actual.id +"_field\" style=\"width: "+width+"px; height: "+height+"px;\" onfocus=\"highLight(this);\" onblur=\"noLight(this); return fieldBlur(this,'" + actual.id + "');\">" + actual.innerHTML + "</textarea>"; } changing = true; } actual.firstChild.focus();}//find all span tags with class editText and id as fieldname parsed to update script. add ondblclick functionfunction editbox_init(){ if (!document.getElementsByTagName){ return; } var spans = document.getElementsByTagName("span"); // loop through all span tags for (var i=0; i<spans.length; i++){ var spn = spans[i]; if (((' '+spn.className+' ').indexOf("editText") != -1) && (spn.id)) { spn.ondblclick = function () { editBox(this); } spn.style.cursor = "pointer"; spn.title = "Click to edit!"; } }}//crossbrowser load functionfunction addEvent(elm, evType, fn, useCapture){ if (elm.addEventListener){ elm.addEventListener(evType, fn, useCapture); return true; } else if (elm.attachEvent){ var r = elm.attachEvent("on"+evType, fn); return r; } else { alert("Please upgrade your browser to use full functionality on this page"); }}//get width of text elementfunction widthEl(span){ if (document.layers){ w=document.layers[span].clip.width; } else if (document.all && !document.getElementById){ w=document.all[span].offsetWidth; } else if(document.getElementById){ w=document.getElementById(span).offsetWidth; }return w;}//get height of text elementfunction heightEl(span){ if (document.layers){ h=document.layers[span].clip.height; } else if (document.all && !document.getElementById){ h=document.all[span].offsetHeight; } else if(document.getElementById){ h=document.getElementById(span).offsetHeight; }return h;}function highLight(span){ //span.parentNode.style.border = "2px solid #D1FDCD"; //span.parentNode.style.padding = "0"; span.style.border = "1px solid #54CE43"; }function noLight(span){ //span.parentNode.style.border = "0px"; //span.parentNode.style.padding = "2px"; span.style.border = "0px"; }//sets post/get vars for updatefunction setVarsForm(vars){ formVars = vars;}addEvent(window, "load", editbox_init);--></script>

The editable fields are then entered as follows

<span id="userName" class="editText">John Doe</span>

The problem us that when I deployed it, and double clicked I got to edit the HTML content of the field and not the actual value.

I played around with the code a little bit but could not manage to find an easy way to accomplish this without abandoning the Visualforce syntax and moving to plain HTML.

If you manage to find out how to complete this in a Visualforce page, please let me know

Thanks! 

Adrian-EAdrian-E
I found something else which might be of interest:  http://blog.sforce.com/sforce/2009/04/an-approach-to-inplace-editing-with-visuaforce.html