function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
zakzak 

OSX Applications for Salesforce.com

I've built a number of OSX app's that integrate with Salesforce.com, all of them are free.

Maildrop - easily copy emails from Mail.app or Entourage to Salesforce
Trapdoor - manage all your saleforce logins on the keychain and quickly login as any of them.
SoqlXplorer - a developer to explore your salesforce.com schema, and try out queries, generate schema reports.
ZKSFoirce - an open source Cocoa library for the Salesforce.com API

Still Beta
SF3 - synchronized contact, events & tasks between salesforce and addressbook / iCal
Quicksilver plugin - quickly search and upload documents to saleforce.com from Quicksilver.
sfdcFuse - using macFuse, mount your salesforce.com document repository as a real OSX volume.

Comments & Suggestions welcome.

fifedogfifedog
That's awesome you've built these... Thanks!
GellMGellM
My company is beginning to centralize around SalesForce, and so SF3 and its continued development is really important to us.

To the end, what we really need is just a program that will push (and not sync) calendar events, tasks and contact information to our Mac apps (we use Mail and Address Book).  This way, we use SF as the central means to enter data, which then radiates out to our laptops (and Blackberrys) as a second (and third) step.

We are finding that SF3 and Apple's SyncServices are definitely in the rough.  For example, it's way too easy to dupe SF3 into deleting our entire calendar from SF (thank goodness for the recycle bin) if we simply delete the "SalesForce.com" category from iCal. If we chose to sync everyone's calendar, we get a single "SalesForce.com" category with everyone's events within it, rather than separate categories for each user.  Further, we are finding that Address Book contacts that are not originally within SF are syncing in as Accounts, rather than Contacts.

We are interested in paying to get the app that we specifically need.

Our needs are:

• Pushing SF data to the Mac (not syncing)
• Calendar information for each user would push into its own iCal Calendar
• Address Book information would push into its own Address Book group

The main issue is that we got the folks at SF to open the API for us to try this out, but we're not interested in keeping it open, and incurring the eventual cost of upgrading to Enterprise level, if the things we want can't be done.
zakzak
Sorry you're not finding SF3 as usefull as you'd like. Push for iCal is pretty trivial, i think the Spanning Salesforce guys already offer this, I also wrote some .NET code a while back that exposes events as an ICAL feed for use in iCal, it'd probably be fairly easy to write it in python or perl and run it in the apache web server already on your mac. (one of the reason's i started work on SF3, is because i found the one wayness of the iCal feed approach to be really limiting, YMMV)

Yes, if you delete stuff on the mac, it will delete the matching record in salesforce, that's what it's suposed to do, i'm not sure why this surprised you. If you have contacts in Address Book that have the company name populated, then yes, it will also create/match those account names so that you can see the account/contact relationship correctly in salesforce.com.

You never have to pay to try out the API, just go sign up for a free developer edition account, it includes API access along with all the other enterprise edition features.

Cheers
Simon
liveloveleblonliveloveleblon
there is an urgent need for the folks at salesforce.com to protect their investment and get this system working for MACs: Entourage, iCal, and Mac/Mail.  whoever is running the project at SF.com: please write me back and tell me that you are working on this, you understand that your stock price is dependent upon working on this, and you will have this available to us users before a competitor comes along and steals us all away.

PS: SF3 & Maildrop - unless i'm missing something, too complicated.  nice try though / A for effort
GellMGellM
Simon:

Thanks for the lead on SpanningSalesforce.com.  That is exactly what we needed for our iCal needs.

Let me just specifically address some SF3 items:
• Deleting the Salesforce.com Calendar - I understand that changing iCal items should modify the corresponding item in SF.  But I think the program should protect the user when he/she has simply deleted the Salesforce.com Calendar item _as a whole_, and assume that doing so means the user wants a first-time sync.  Perhaps it could be a dialogue that simply states something to the effect "Salesforce.com calendar has been deleted from iCal, do you wish to create a new one?"  The simple, but totally possible, accidental deletion of the "Salesforce.com" calendar currently has rather catastrophic results, especially if the preferences are set to sync all users' events.  It means that all calendar events of all users head to the recycle bin.
• Currently, an additional all-day event gets created in iCal that corresponds merely to the date when an event got created.  For example, if I make an event today (3/12) for a "Meeting with Bob" that will actually happen on 3/22, I get an event on 3/22, to be sure, but I also get an all-day event on 3/12 for the same.  So, something in the current build is interpreting the event creation date as an event in itself.
• My experience with Contact syncing was that the account was indeed created based on the Company name, but the contact information was nowhere to be seen.  All it did was make a company and that is all.

IMO, you'd have a great product that you could easily charge for if issues like these were resolved, and that syncing both calendars and contacts could interact with subsets of local databases (individual calendars and address book groups, as an example).

Lastly, thanks for pointing out the developer edition account, but this doesn't allow me to try things out with my data, just oodles of fake data that SF has lovingly created for the developer.  Although I guess it would be safer to do so, I'd rather see how it would affect my business.  I guess that sandbox feature would be more appropriate for that.  My point was that for a Professional user (which we currently are), the opening of the API is quite a steep upgrade price to get these kinds of features working.

Cheers,
Matt
zakzak
I'll look into the all day event issue, there was a problem with all day events in one of the older builds, but that was fixed in the current build. If you have contacts with no last name, then it can't sync those to Salesforce, perhaps that's what you're running into with the account / no contact problem ?

Cheers
Simon
zakzak
liveloveleblon, In what way are they too complicated (SF3 only has a single button on it!)? how would you suggest i simplify them ? Thanks Simon
liveloveleblonliveloveleblon
Simon, could be my own ignorance.  my goal is to have my calendar and tasks pop on to my iCal (or Entourage, which many others use in my company).  how do they do that with SF3?

if possible, I would also like to talk live if you can - it sounds like you can help us!  (and we really need the help)

(info@liveloveleblon.com)

Steve
hammhamm
Ditto the last comment.  I work in sales for an IT company.  Our entire sales team is standardized on salesforce, but many of the the sales team use mac laptops.

So we definitely have a need to get our information out of the centralized database which is SF and out to Entourage and then push it out to our blackberries.
SuperfellSuperfell
Install SF3, start it, goto the preferences and check which object types you want to sync (contacts, events, tasks), click the big red sf3 logo, enter your salesforce.com login and off it goes. Entourage is more tricky, you can have Entourage sync to address book for contacts, but for calendars entourage sync's to its own calendar, and so does sf3, so you can't get salesforce.com events into entourage that way, I'll be working to let you pick which calendar in iCal that SF3 syncs to, so that you can have it sync to the entourage calendar in iCal, which'll then replicate out to entourage itself. Its really more complicated to explain than to actually do.

Remeber to do backup's first, SF3 is still beta.

If you just want one way push of your salesforce.com events & tasks into iCal, then go tryout Spanning Salesforce.
darindarin
I have downloaded Maildrop and use it daily, hourly. It has literally allowed me to keep my Mac and my sanity and SalesForce. SF was drudgery without Maildrop.

I do wish Maildrop could help quickly create a new lead.
SuperfellSuperfell
At which point in the process do you want to create a lead ? the same spot you can create a new contact ?
darindarin

SimonF wrote:
At which point in the process do you want to create a lead ? the same spot you can create a new contact ?

Yes, I didn't even notice the "+" in the original dialog until I happened across one of your web pages or another that emphasized you could create a contact.

If I may suggest that the create a lead functionality contain a description field on which the selected text instead of the whole email body would be pasted into Maildrop and ultimately onto SF.

For example, you get an email from someone who should be a lead for you. You select their email signature information which you want to populate the lead. Then only that information might get sucked into the lead generation of maildrop GUI. If the line that has foo@foo.com could get slurped into the email area so much the better. Just so that bringing in a lead doesn't involve 8 cut and paste operations from Mail.app and Safari, if instead it was 1 Maildrop applescript invocation and then some cut and pasting withing Maildrop that would be easier. Or maybe a kind of mapping dialog.
Marc BaizmanMarc Baizman
Simon,

I think the Spring 07 Upgrade and the Mac OS 10.4.9 update broke my SOQL Explorer.  I was wowing all my Windows co-workers by using those beautiful diagrams, and now no joy.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Marc at NPower NY
SuperfellSuperfell
Strange, i don't see any issues here, what exactly happens ?
Marc BaizmanMarc Baizman
Basically the app just bounces in the dock for a REALLY long time, then I force quit.  I would have PM'ed you but the system said you hadn't enabled it.
SuperfellSuperfell
Are you using the 0.81 version? are you on an intel or ppc mac ?
Marc BaizmanMarc Baizman
Yep, 0.81.  I'm on a PPC Powerbook G4, a couple years old. 

I trashed the prefs file (com.pocketsoap.blahbah) in my /Library/Preferences folder and redownloaded, but to no avail.

SimonF wrote:

KyhollandKyholland
Zak,  Do you have or know of anyone offering Mac OSX MS Office integration. I'm trying to generate letters and fax communication from SF on a Mac and it seems to be a pain.

Thank you,

Ky
darindarin
I've now also tried QuickSilver SalesForce plug-in and I've gained another hour a day in searching for things. Simon has made me 10x happier with my Mac than any employee of Adobe ever will.

A trick is once you've installed the plug in modify the rank of the search in salesforce action to the top of your list, then you only do the following:

option-space, . , searchstring, return

Compare that to the typical process
- Start safari
- find sf bookmark
- login, wait
- type search string
- hit search
TannicTannic
Is there any reason that some of the apps need API access (SF3/Quicksilver) and others do not (MailDrop).

It leaves us poor Team/Professional Edition users out in the cold.

Tannic
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
First, fantastic that this forum is available. I just found it today and have already learned a couple things. Great job!

Now am I blind? This thread has 3 pages and yet there are no thread nav links to go to the next page. I can return to the main forum page and click the '2' but no way to go between pages once I'm in the thread. I'm using Firefox FWIW. Just tried it in Safari and same deal. Maybe I am blind...

Thanks for this, great resource for those in the Mac world.

[edit] weirdly, I was on page 1 when I created this reply, and then it took me to page 2 of the thread when I submitted it. I think the forums have a bug or two.

MarkL

Message Edited by MarkL on 03-27-2007 05:05 PM

SuperfellSuperfell
I think it might be keychain related, can you try deleting the keychain enteries ?
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
I'm not so sure. Just now I was looking for your reply and opened the thread without being signed in. The messages were in a completely random order. Then I signed in and they are back in order. Very strange.

I can try deleting the keychain references, but why in the world would that have something to do with forum behavior in the browser?

MarkL
SuperfellSuperfell
MarkL, I think we're talking about 2 different threads, my post was a response to Marc Baizman who's having issues with SoqlXplorer starting up, nothing to do with the forums.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
:) Thanks Simon. His last message was #19 in the thread, did you look at the message numbers? Maybe your order was scrambled too. :)

BTW I can sign out, read the thread and the messages are out of order. Sign back in and they are fixed. Very repeatable.

MarkL
SuperfellSuperfell
Personally i find the forum is only remotely usable when its in threaded mode.
Marc BaizmanMarc Baizman
Simon,

I'll try to give it a shot today and post with the results.  Thanks for the tip.

Also, the forum does appear to behave bizarrely.  It seems like within a thread, the message order is random unless signed in.  Viewing by thread is the only choice to sort out the conversations.

SimonF wrote:
I think it might be keychain related, can you try deleting the keychain enteries ?

SuperfellSuperfell

Marc, any luck with this? are you using any of my other apps? they use the same keychain code, so if it is a keychain problem, it would affect those as well. FWIW so far this does seem to be PPC specific.

Marc Baizman wrote:
Yep, 0.81.  I'm on a PPC Powerbook G4, a couple years old. 

I trashed the prefs file (com.pocketsoap.blahbah) in my /Library/Preferences folder and redownloaded, but to no avail.

SimonF wrote:

Marc BaizmanMarc Baizman
Simon,

Looks like 0.8.3 took care of the problem, but I'm still not sure what the root cause was.  And I haven't yet used Maildrop, although that's on my to-do list. I'm the lone Mac evangelist here at NPower NY, so I'm the one trying to do things "differently".  I have to say, once I shoed the other folks on the CRM team the SOQL Explorer schema, you could practically see the drool...  :)  Thanks for making a useful and elegant app.

Marc

SimonF wrote:

Marc, any luck with this? are you using any of my other apps? they use the same keychain code, so if it is a keychain problem, it would affect those as well. FWIW so far this does seem to be PPC specific.

tmoodytmoody
I just downloaded SF3. I was trying to login to salesforce using the app, but am unable to. After I enter my salesforce username and password, I keep getting this error message:

"API_DISABLED_FOR_ORG: API is not enabled for this organization or partner"

I don't understand why I keep getting this error message. How can I make it go away??
SuperfellSuperfell
SF3 requires that you have an Enterprise, Unlimited or Developer Edition login, which you don't appear to have, sorry.
GonGon
Your apps are great and much needed, thanks for the good and helpfuk work!
I am having problems installing the Maildrop to use with my Mac Mail. Do you hav anywhere a step by step "how to" so I can see where I'm messing up?

My problem is this: I download the app, it runs through fine, but no buttons appear in Mail. Instead, I created a rule in Mail and pply it when needed. The problem is the it then applies to all incoming e-mails and keeps jumping up with every incoming message.

I'm new to Mac, quite obvious by my confusion here...any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gon Kafri
SuperfellSuperfell
See the section in the help for setting up the scripts menu for Mail.
mrobinsonmrobinson
Your work on OS X apps for Salesforce.com is really important to me; it allows me to use OS X exclusively during my workday, resulting in increased productivity.

I write to ask if there is a way to sync only the contacts in a specific group using SF3. My address book contains work contacts as well as personal contacts and SF3 moved them all. I distinguish my contacts by Smart Groups, not by Groups typically, but could easily move all of my work contacts into a 'Work' group if it would allow me to synchronize only those contacts into Salesforce.com. There is probably already a way to do this, as I imagine many people would run into the same dilemma otherwise, but I was not able to find the solution.

Do you have any thoughts or ideas that can keep me from synching my personal contacts into our Salesforce.com database?
SuperfellSuperfell
Right now I'm afraid you're stuck, I do plan to support syncing contacts to a specific group, which as you say should solve this particular issue, a few people have asked for it.
mrobinsonmrobinson
Thank you for your insanely prompt feedback. I had to read it twice because I didn't believe it could be feedback to my post so quickly. I just want to emphasize how much I appreciate your work on OS X compatibility. I'm not a developer, but wish I were so I could contribute to the work you're doing for the Mac community.

By and large, your solutions are great and generally, better than the alternatives Salesforce offers to their Outlook users. I know because I come to SF3, Maildrop and the Quicksilver plug-in directly from relying on their Outlook solutions all day long. I get more done with your tools in less time and will keep watching this space for a solution to syncing by contact group. I can't employ SF3 without this, as syncing between my phone (iPhone in 4 days) and computer are critical to me and I really need to carry both personal and work contacts with me in my phone, but I am very eager to put SF3 to use so I won't always have to manually add contacts into Salesforce.

Cheers for all your work,

Michael
JGSJGS
Hi, I'm trying to download maildrop via App Exchange and all I get is a page not found error. Can anyone help? Thanks and looking forward to testing maildrop.
SuperfellSuperfell
Looks like a recent config change on my webserver is causing this, Thanks for the heads up, I'll try and get this resolved today.
SuperfellSuperfell
This is resolved now, sorry for the mixup.

JGSJGS
Yep, it's working now. Thanks a ton for the super quick response!
tminsquerotminsquero
Hello,
First i want to thank you for what you have contributed.  It is really appreciated.

My background is Windows / Smartphone / Outlook via Active Sync. 

I just transferred to a new company and I am now using Mac OS X / Iphone / Mail / I Cal and Address book.  This is my first MAC ever.  WOW what a change!

So far I am getting along ok,  however I really like the thought of SF3.  My concern is I am apparently using Group eddition (Not sure the ups or downfalls) and I do not want all of my contacts to be sync'd with my entire organization. 

Any Ideas?

Thank you in advance, 

Tony Minsquero
Director of Dealer Development
Saxon Motorcycles

Message Edited by tminsquero on 09-07-200704:31 PM

SuperfellSuperfell
SF3 requires enterprise edition or greater, sorry.
pbp_macuserpbp_macuser
is there a way to sync Entourage with salesfoce Cal, tasks, and contacts? SF3 seems to work for ical and not Entourage.

Thanks,

PBP_Macuser
SuperfellSuperfell
You can sync contacts by enabling the sync features in entourage (i.e. sync entourage to address book, and use SF3 to sync from AB to salesforce). This doesn't work yet for calendars due to the fact that both entourage and SF3 sync a specific iCal calendar that they create. (I'm hoping to address that at some point)
EJKEJK
This is a workaround for people who would like to import just part of their Address Book into Salesforce using SF3, not all of it.

1) Create a group in Address Book containing only the people you want to import into Salesforce

2) Drag & drop this group into your /Users/Shared directory. This will create a Vcard containing all your entries

3) In System Preferences -> Accounts, create a new user account and enable fast user switching

4) Log in as the new user you just created

5) Drag & Drop the Vcard file you created in step 2) into the Address Book

6) Use SF3 in the new user account to Sync to Salesforce

Viola! I know this isn't perfect, but it should help jump start a certain group of people with their initial salesforce setup.
donBonodonBono
QuickSilver plugin's upload function doesn't seem to work in Leopard (10.5.1), QS just crashes down.
tanistanis

zak wrote:
I've built a number of OSX app's that integrate with Salesforce.com, all of them are free.

Maildrop - easily copy emails from Mail.app or Entourage to Salesforce
Trapdoor - manage all your saleforce logins on the keychain and quickly login as any of them.
SoqlXplorer - a developer to explore your salesforce.com schema, and try out queries, generate schema reports.
ZKSFoirce - an open source Cocoa library for the Salesforce.com API

Still Beta
SF3 - synchronized contact, events & tasks between salesforce and addressbook / iCal
Quicksilver plugin - quickly search and upload documents to saleforce.com from Quicksilver.
sfdcFuse - using macFuse, mount your salesforce.com document repository as a real OSX volume.

Comments & Suggestions welcome.

Hi---
My modest suggestions for improvement:

Allowing attached docs to travel from entourage into SF (and into the opportunity) would be stunning. This is the main flaw and the difference between maildrop being mildly convenient and brilliant.

Allow emails to attach to a SF lead; if a lead is still a lead I cannot sync my entourage mail w/SF. It takes two separate and very time-consuming steps as I have to log into SF and write the message from within. (Obviously this problem goes away when a lead becomes an opportunity, etc.)

This is for starters...

Thanks in advance-
Tanis
lschorlschor
Zak
Nice job on maildrop. Works very well. My only problem is that I have sfdc opportunities that have the same name, but are associated with a different account. Currently, you allow an email to be associated with a Sender or a specific Opportunity. If you displayed the Account name with Opp, I'd be able to select the correct Opp and not have to edit the record once it's in SFDC.

Thanks. You're one of the few developers working to integrate SF with the Mac, and it's is very appreciated.

lschor
a.schaefera.schaefer
can we expect an update to Trapdoor to reflect recent changes to the logon process (added token)?
looking forward to hear from you,
Andreas
RevJoelRevJoel
Is there any way you would build a version of SF3 that is compatible with Professional Edition? I work for a small company that uses Salesforce and SF3 is the best possible solution for syncing with my Mac. Thanks!
dfradindfradin
I am trying to install maildrop in Leopard.

I get an error message: File operation error:Couldn't open with file: /Users/davidfradin/Library/Scripts/Applications/Mail

I tried to create a "Mail" folder but even tho I am the admin, it won't let me.
SuperfellSuperfell
You can attach an email to a lead from within Maildrop, the "related to who" section searches both contacts & leads.

Attachment support is top of the todo list, but no timeframe yet.
SuperfellSuperfell
Not sure what you think needs changing, just store the password+token in the password field in Trapdoor.
SuperfellSuperfell
Right now, Prof Edition support requires up front costs for app exchange approval, this is not likely to happen unless someone convinces Salesforce.com or some other company to take it on as a commercial offering. Alternatively AppStore might allow for "pay as you" style funding for approval.
lsatonylsatony
hi there,

i can't seem to get sfdcFuse to work for connecting to my document library.

I read the instructions here - http://www.pocketsoap.com/weblog/2007/02/1746.html

Do i need to open up terminal & enter "sfdcFuse username password"?
SuperfellSuperfell
Yes.
lsatonylsatony
thanks for getting back!

i tried that & terminal says "command not found".  i suppose i need to specify the exact location of sfdcFuse?  what would that be if it's on my desktop?  Sorry...I'm not too familiar w/ the terminal & it's syntax.

I'm guessing it would be something like macintosh hd/user/desktop/sfdcFuse"?

thanks again.
SuperfellSuperfell
when you start terminal you should be in your home directory, the desktop is a child directory of your home directory, so you can do (and case matters)

Desktop/sfdcFuse username password
lsatonylsatony
Thanks, Simon.

I was able to mount the network drive, but can't seem to open it.  The Finder is telling me "The folder could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges".  Let me know if you have any guesses as to why this might be happening.

Thanks again,
-t
psl1014psl1014
We are a Mostly Mac operation that has Salesforce Professional version and are looking to figure out how to sync our Macs with Salesforce and also our Blackberrys. We use to keep a PC in the office just to sync Salesforce to Outlook and then Outlook with the blackberry....but no more PC....

I find the Salesforce C/S no help when it comes to Macs...but you would figure they see what is happening out there....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chi-Town
SuperfellSuperfell
I'm not aware of anything for sync that works on Prof Edition. Spanning Salesforce was possibly your best bet, but they're no longer accepting new customers.
HotchHotch
Thanks for writting Mac apps for SF.  I just found Maildrop and have started to use it and find that it performs very well.

I have a need for an Email Opt -Out application that would run a script on Mailer-Daemon returned mail.  I recently sent a mass email to thousands of customers, the number of failures is around 2000.  Right now, the only way I have been able to relatively quickly change the Email Opt out to checked, is to export all of the customers in a mass mail, then search the affected email address in excel, change opt out to 1, then update the contacts using Apex data Loader on Windows OS.

To me, it seems possible just to add a new script to maildrop that looks for the email address in the body of the email, then goes through the same routine as adding an email but instead edits the contact email opt out.

Has anyone done this?

Richard Hotchkiss
MacMauriceMacMaurice
I've run into a problem with the SF3 app. After installing on my Mac, and the dialog box comes up for login, after entering my SF.com login and password I receive an error message: Login_must_use_security_token:invalid username, password, security token. Any Ideas?

MacMaurice
lschorlschor
You need to reset your security token. Go to Setup/Personal Setup/My Personal Information/Reset my security token. Follow directions.
lsatonylsatony

lsatony wrote:
Thanks, Simon.

I was able to mount the network drive, but can't seem to open it.  The Finder is telling me "The folder could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges".  Let me know if you have any guesses as to why this might be happening.

Thanks again,
-t

I'm still having this issue - any thoughts?
SuperfellSuperfell
If you're on OSX leopard, you need to use a newer version, you can download it from http://code.google.com/p/sffs/
lsatonylsatony
I'm on Tiger - 10.4.11
SuperfellSuperfell
Is there anything in the console log ?
lsatonylsatony
hi Simon,

this is what I'm seeing in the console.  thanks for your help!

May 20 15:50:32 ts-Computer sfdcFuse[23460]: ############################ Starting!
May 20 15:50:32 ts-Computer sfdcFuse[23460]: (;    "Desktop/sfdcFuse", ;    "/tmp/sfdcFS_L2YphL6c", ;    "-o", ;    "ping_diskarb,volname=SalesforceDocuments", ;    "-f";)
May 20 15:50:33 ts-Computer kernel[0]: MacFUSE: starting (version 1.5.0, Apr 24 2008, 18:58:09)

MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
Trapdoor question.  I recently had a problem with my profile and had to create a new user on my machine.  Of course Trapdoor didn't have any of my logins, so I copied the com.pocketsoap.trapdoor.plist file from my original Library to my new one.  Well that didn't work either, probably the wrong thing to do.  :)  So finally I copied all files from the original profile over to the new one.  That got my logins back, but now I have TWO entries for every login!  So how do I fix this?  Thanks!

Mark
SuperfellSuperfell
Your logins are stored on the keychain. (try using the keychain access program to examine it)
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
That's the strange thing.  The keychain shows a single entry for each login, just as I would expect.  But the context menu on the dock shows double entries.  I can't find where it's pulling the list from, but all the logins continue to work, even the doubles.

Mark
SuperfellSuperfell
What files are in your keychain directory ? ~/Library/Keychains/
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
login.keychain
Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates

The root Library only contains a system.keychain file.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
Any other ideas on this?  Reinstalling trapdoor does not work and I want to keep all my keychain entries.  Just as a followup, I created a new login to a completely different org and it also created as a double entry in the context menu.  I have 15 different orgs I can login to, but 30 entries in the context menu!  Very strange and getting large enough that it doesn't fit on the screen.  I'd love to figure out a solution.

Mark
SuperfellSuperfell
Sorry, have no idea. You might have to go back and re-create the profile without copying everything over, or perhaps you can use the migration assistent to copy over the relevant things.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
Ok here's a followup.  I just got my new MacBook Pro (the new unibody model, very slick machine!) and moved my profile over.  The problem is fixed!  So it was definitely something in the profile that was causing the double entries, still no idea what it was but everything is back to normal.

Oh and Trapdoor is a fantastic app, use it constantly and can't imagine being without it, even when the entries were doubled.  It's one of those little things that seems small and simple, but really makes a big impact.  Thanks a million.

Mark
GaryFGaryF
Wow, these tools are really helpful. It is a shame SalesForce has decided to ignore Mac users. I use MailDrop ALL the time. Do you intend to synchronize Entourage and Salesforce contacts, events, ...

Thank you,
GaryF
SuperfellSuperfell
sf3 can sync contacts (you need to enable sync services in entourage), it will eventually support syncing the entourage calendar as well.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269

Ok here's a question.  We currently do a lot of graphic production using InDesign, and it of course contains quite a bit of customer information.  Has anyone ever thought about a connector from InDesign to Salesforce to pull that data?  Would there be a way to leverage SoqlXplorer?  It does exactly what is needed, maybe with a little friendlier query builder making the result set available to InDesign.

Mark

SuperfellSuperfell
SoqlX can generate you a CSV file, that perhaps you can import into inDesign (never used it)? does InDesign support applescript? one thing i've been thinking about on and off for a while is a general purpose applescript interface to the salesforce.com api, that would help with a lot of these types of integrations.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
The csv import is what we're doing right now, moving to a SQL integration next.  But that still means multiple steps to get the information into InDesign and I'd love to get it more direct.  Yes it supports AppleScript and such a connector would be ideal.  I think a generic connector would be incredibly useful.
GardnerGardner
Unfortunately sf3 will not work with Professional Edition, because it does not have API access.  ( Salesforce makes an exception and allows the Outlook Sync app to work with Professional edition)  As usual, MAC users are given the short stick.....
SuperfellSuperfell
Actually, the latest version of SF3 should work fine with professional edition.
eba1968eba1968

Hi Zak,

It's great that you're working on these useful tools to connect the Mac and Salesforce.  I really appreciate it.

I downloaded and ran SF3 and received an error during the sync.  The sync seemed to work only one way: from Salesforce into Addressbook.  The error occurred after this direction completed but before the data from Addressbook got into Salesforce.

I got two error windows, which said "An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0xb) was found in the element of the document"

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ted

SuperfellSuperfell
You have a record in your addressbook that contains a character that's not legal for the XML based salesforce.com API, right now SF3 doesn't do anything to filter these characters out, so you'll get the error. If you look in the console log, you may be able to spot which particular record is causing the problem.
tanistanis

Hello Simon-the-savior,

I used to use maildrop but it stopped working during one of the updates (don't remember which one...)

- I have just downloaded the latest version but when I try to send an email to SF from my Entourage, by clicking on the applescript/send copy to SF, I get the following error message:Microsoft Entourage got an error: Can't get subject

I have re-downloaded several times and this keeps happening. Any advice?

- Also, does this version of maildrop send along the attached docs?

Thanks for your help-

Tanis

SuperfellSuperfell

If you're using the latest version of maildrop, use the maildrop button bar, rather than the entourage scripts menu.

Yes, the latest version supports attachments. 

tanistanis
Most excellent, thanks!!
tanistanis

Hi Simon--

I am back.This worked for me the first time but the past times, all it does is open a "task" window in the opportunity (and the email doesn't even get copied into the task so ultimately, nothing happens).

However, I want a cc of my email to get copied into the opportunity's email activity. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I often have to go through the process several times before it even opens the task window. (FYI, when I write an email from Entourage, I open the apple script "S" which opens a maildrop bar. There, I press "add email." )

Thanks again for your help.

Tanis

SF-JunkieSF-Junkie

Nice job Zak, didnt take long to figure out how to use this. If you could add the ability to add email "drafts" and highlighted portions of emails (like selection before reply when editing) that would be a very useful enhancement

Thanks again... 

MADMAD

I have downloaded quicksilver but I can't seem to find where it opens.  It is in my applications folder.  Where should I see it on salesforce?

Thanks 

SuperfellSuperfell

This is a good getting started video on using the salesforce.com plugin for quicksilver. 

http://blogs.splunk.com/thewilde/2008/10/31/got-salesforce-got-mac-need-help-here-you-go/

If you're new to Quicksilver, you may want to check out this general tutorial on quicksilver

http://blogs.splunk.com/thewilde/2008/06/26/mac-productivity-with-quicksilver/