function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SuperfellSuperfell 

Data Loader for OSX

I was reminded by the Data Loaders' original author (the infamous Lexi) today that the more recent versions only have minor functionality improvements in them, so rather than waiting for the source of those versions to get released, I went ahead and built a new OSX version of the data loader source that is there. This is v7.0 of the data loader, it includes export, insert, update, and upsert. (but not the FK externalId support). I think makes it about 2 revs out of date, but i think is still useful anyway. You can grab a copy from my blog

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SuperfellSuperfell
Business is the name of a recordType, not its Id, you need to use its Id (its a 15 or 18 character string)

All Answers

tomaswktomaswk
Thank you again Simon! I am going to submit you as a 'write in' for Time's Person of the Year.
kekkek
Simon,

I am encoutering a couple of quirks when trying to export data using the OSX LexiLoader.
1. I need to have a file already created for it to export to.
2. Query request size seems to be limited to 9999.
Are these user error or enhancement requests?

Thanks,
Karen
SuperfellSuperfell
1. I think is a quirk of the SWT mappings on OSX, just type in the destination filename and it should be fine.
2. There's no reason to change the query request size from the default of 500, this has no effect on the total number of rows you can extract.
tomaswktomaswk
Hey Simon,

Do you contract out your services? We are a 3 person crew running mac and would be interested in contracting with you for SF help from time to time?

If so what is your fee? Thanks.
kekkek
Simon,

What does affect the number of rows extracted?

I assumed that the reason that my export file had only 500 rows in it was because the default query request size was 500. I just tried again with default query size of 9999 and I get an INVALID_BATCH_SIZE error. At 750 it does the same thing as it does at 500 and it tells me that it has successfully processed 500 of 60000+ records and then it stops the extraction.

Thanks,
Karen
SuperfellSuperfell
Its just the chunk size, (and its maximum is 2000), so all changing this does is affect the number of API calls it uses to fetch all the data. Does it actually stop with an error, or it is sat at the same progress point (and if so how long are you waiting for it to move on?)
SuperfellSuperfell
Hi,

Sorry, I'm not available for contract work. But if you have ideas for what'll make working with Salesforce.com and the Mac easier, feel free to post them here.
kekkek
Simon,

I get the message that it has successfully extracted the 500 records and then it just stops and the window closes and I am back to the Welcome to Sforce Data Loader 7.0 - LexiLoader Version and I am being asked to "Please choose an action from the menu." I am not getting the message that I am used to from Windows where I am asked if I wish to view the file.

Thanks,
Karen
SuperfellSuperfell
Stange, I'd look in the console log, see if there's anything interesting in there.
kekkek
Here is what the console says:

2007-07-19 11:09:22,605 INFO [main] controller.LoaderController initConfig (LoaderController.java:291) - The log has been initialized
[LaunchRunner Error] SforceDataLoaderRunner.main(String[]) threw an exception:
org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Device is disposed
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3374)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3297)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3268)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.error(Display.java:1105)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.checkDevice(Display.java:623)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.update(Display.java:3953)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:674)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:648)
at com.sforce.dataloader.ui.LoaderWindow.run(LoaderWindow.java:107)
at com.sforce.dataloader.controller.LoaderController.createAndShowGUI(LoaderController.java:159)
at SforceDataLoaderRunner.main(SforceDataLoaderRunner.java:43)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:88)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)

Thanks,
Karen
RachelMosaicRachelMosaic
Simon,
Thanks for all the work you do with OS X and Salesforce.

I am still on 10.3.9 and am trying to use your Lexiloader 7.0.  When I enter my correct username and password and submit it, I get the error "Invalid username or password."  Does Lexiloader v 7.0 work on 10.3? Is there something I should do, besides upgrade my operating system?  I work for a small nonprofit and we don't have the money to do much in the way of paid software.

Thanks
Rachel
SuperfellSuperfell
I haven't tried it on 10.3. If you're getting that far though, it sounds more like that you need to use your password & security token to log in, not just your password.

see http://trust.salesforce.com/trust/security/identity_feature.html
RachelMosaicRachelMosaic
Duh!  Thanks, I really appreciate it.  It works fine and is so helpful.
Rachel
lgordyblgordyb
Simon,
  I have been desparately looking for a database tool and I think this is what I've been needing to mass create activity records and opportunities based on SF ID?
  Being a newbie to SQL, I don't recognize the "upsert" function.  Is documentation on the Data Loader available?
  Thank you so much.
SuperfellSuperfell
http://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/data_loader.htm
lgordyblgordyb
Thanks, Simon, but that link doesn't seem to work anymore. Here's the Google message:
Your search - http://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/data_loader.htm - did not match any documents.

Lynn
SuperfellSuperfell
Just put it in the address bar, no need to search for it.
SuperfellSuperfell
And if you're on the latest OSX Data loader build, you can goto Help -> About and click the Apex Data Loader Documentation link at the bottom of the about box.
lgordyblgordyb
Thanks. I saw that link, but it didn't work for me. Is there information there specific to OS X, or better than the SF documentation on the Data Loader?

Lynn
SuperfellSuperfell
There's no specific OSX docs. What in particular are you looking for ? there's docs on the developer wiki about how to automate the data loader.
lgordyblgordyb
I was just looking at the Data Loader documentation provided by SF and, unless I'm missing something, it seems really sparse and incomplete for a newbie like me. I think I need something that assumes more ignorance than what I'm seeing :>)

Thanks for your assistance.
Lynn
akak

I am trying to use the Data loader for OSX. No records will import and I get the following error against each record.

Record Type: id value of incorrect type: Business

I have made sure the UTF-8 setting is correct (reading and writing) and checked the id value and record type exist.

Any ideas why this import is failing?

SuperfellSuperfell
Business is the name of a recordType, not its Id, you need to use its Id (its a 15 or 18 character string)
This was selected as the best answer
akak

Many thanks Simon. I managed to load some data.

Would help if there were some guidance notes on using id's. Do you know if there is a guide somewhere?