function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
joyvivrejoyvivre 

sync iCal to SF and sync entourage mail to SF

what are the options to sync iCal to SF? which do you recommend and why?
what are the options to sync entourage mail to SF? which do you recommend and why?is there a email program that is better to use for sync to SF?

we are a 60+ user services firm with heavy dependancy on networked calendar entries and email use.
SuperfellSuperfell
1) iCal/ SF Sync

If you want full 2 way sync (i.e. changes in SF get propogated to iCal, and changes in iCal get propogated to SF), then the only option I'm aware of is SFCubed see http://www.pocketsoap.com/osx/sf3 or http://code.google.com/p/sf3 Note that this is still beta, for some folks it works fine, other have trouble, i'd recommend you try it out with a sandbox or developer edition account first.

If you want a one way sync/view of SF calendar in iCal, then you can do via an iCal feed, the only productized version of this i know of is spanning salesforce, although last i heard they're not accepting new customers. If you (or you know someone) who is handy with both the SF API and a Mac friendly language (python, perl, ruby), then its fairly easy to write a CGI that runs under the Mac's local Apache server to generate the iCal feed for you.

2) Mail / SF

The only option i know of for integrating email and SF on the Mac is Maildrop http://www.pocketsoap.com/osx/maildrop It glues into entourage and apple mail via apple script to add emails to salesforce.com (either as cases or activities).

[Note, I'm the author of both SF3 and Maildrop]
amprairieamprairie
Simon,
Please help!! Here's what we're trying to do. Can you help with these questions or point me in the right direction??

We are planning to install a Windows 2008 server with Exchange for mail and file sharing to set up centralized management. APF has a MAC environment and they use SalesForce with Google Apps currently. We are not looking to eliminate Google Apps etc. We are looking to create a place for central document storage and email back-up with more effective calendaring.

1.    I need to know if SalesForce.com will integrate with Office 2008 for the MAC. (Office 2008 uses Entourage for their email and calendaring).

2.    If not, can we use the Outlook web client on a MAC without any issues and can you provide documentation of the integration for Sales Force?

3.    How does Outlook Web Client work with SalesForce.com? (Please provide documentation.)

4.    What other recommendations do you have for integration of mail and calendar besides Gmail for a MAC environment using an Exchange server? When making recommendations, please provide documentation.

Thank you for your assistance with this project.

SuperfellSuperfell
I suggest you contact your account rep or CSM.
ProfessorProfessor
Simon, no way to include Entourage's calendar in the SF3 process? 
PhotoByDepuhlPhotoByDepuhl
1) SalesForce maintains it’s calendar. I can sync it (automatically with Google’s calendar in Google apps) via Appirio’s calendar sync. So now SalesForce and Google calendars are synced. (Information entered in either calendar will update on the other).

2) My offline calendar on my Mac’s iCal can also sync with the Google calendar via Spanning Sync. So those two talk to each other as well.

3) The real beauty of this is that the Google calendar acts like a clearing house between SalesForce and iCal, updating information entered in either one to the other.

4) Last but not least, iCal updates the calendar on my iPhone via Mac’s mobile me cloud letting me not only see my SalesForce calendar on my iPhone, but editing and adding data to SalesForce on this path:

iPhone -> mobile Me cloud -> iCal -[via Spanning Sync]-> Google Calendar (another cloud) -[via Appirio]-> SalesForce (my third cloud).

A long way to get to automation, but once it’s set up, it will run and run and run Yeah for automation! (not to mention redundancy) and I can enter and edit data on my phone, my laptop and anywhere on the web. Oh yeah my iCal also publishes my calendar so that others (whom I select) can know what’s on my work schedule.
SFConsultSFConsult
Long way is right but from diagram it looks like this solves sync between iPhone and SFDC for Calendar AND Contacts (Mac Address book), right?

I am consult on Group Ed. I am struggling to sync SF and iPhone without expensive edition upgrade + Mobile fee or having to run Virtual Windows and buying/running Outlook just as the go-between. So this solution just leaves email and To-Dos for the Outlook-like info management. From reading forum (your input is great), sounds like Entourage+Maildrop needed for the email solution and To-Do app + toodleDo service will handle Tasks. Is that about right? Sheesh, I love iPhone and Mac over Windows but it was sure a lot easier 5 years ago when I synced Windows Outlook to my Treo.
SuperfellSuperfell
SF3 can sync SFDC ICAL/AB iPhone.

You can sync contacts between Entourage and AddressBook, so calendar would be the only problem if the entourage calendar is your primary calendar. (I wasn't clear from your msg if you actually use entourage or not, Maildrop works with both entourage and apple Mail)
SFConsultSFConsult
SF3 sounds like the way to go. I have GROUP edition now and SF3 Web says Enterprise/UNL/Dev eds needed. Does Pro upgrade get me needed APIs or do I have to bump up 2 levels to Enterprise? That's another $1400/year.

Also, I do not currently use Entourage so Maildrop with Apple Mail seems like solution for me.

SuperfellSuperfell
The latest version should work on all editions, no upgrade required.
AldoZAldoZ

Our Salesforce Certified Riva Integration Server is now fully compatible with Mac Entourage and Mac OS X native Mail, iCal and Address Book. 

http://www.omni-ts.com/newsroom/entourage-crm-integration.html

http://www.omni-ts.com/newsroom/mac-crm-sync.html

http://www.omni-ts.com/crm-integration/salesforce.html

Because Riva provides transparent server-side synchronization directly between Salesforce and Exchange, there are no Outlook plug-in dependencies.  Riva provides full integration with all Exchange clients running on all desktop and mobile operating systems including Outlook, Outlook Web Access, Terminal Services, Mac Entourage, Mac OS X Mail, iCal, Address Book, BlackBerry, iPhone and ActiveSync mobile devices.

Best regards,

Aldo Zanoni
CEO, Managing Director
Omni Technology Solutions, Inc.
www.omni-ts.com

jdb1234jdb1234

Simon ... Or Someone Else:

I successfully use Maildrop to attach emails from my MAC Entourage Email Program to the respective contacts in Salesforce. Those emails then reside within the Activity History section of Salesforce.

Now, I am trying to run Activity Reports in Salesforce for all tasks and appointments. The PROBLEM is that none of the emails show up. Everything else is reported, but not the emails.

QUESTION: Is there a way to get a listing of all those emails within a given time period? Would be ideal if they were integrated with the Activity report I am running, but would be okay if it were a separate report specifically for the emails.

MGLMikeMGLMike

Hi Simon,

I have installed SF3 and can not get loged in, the message I get is:

LOGIN_MUST_USE_SECURITY_TOKEN: Invalid username, password, security token;

The usernam and password are fine, not sure about the security token.

Please advise

Mike

SuperfellSuperfell

As the message indicates you need to use your API security token, see the help & training section on identity confirmation

KimberlyJohnsonKimberlyJohnson

I have completed a sync with SFCubed, however there is no dedicated calendar in iCal that was generated.  I got the impression that it just happened automatically.  None of my events are appearing in my calendar even though it said 87 events/tasks were synced.  By the way, where do the tasks show up?  Thanks for your help.