function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KostyaKostya 

How to add a custom panel/block to an exisiting VF page

I've been looking all over and can't seem to find an answer.

I am trying to integrate SF with our web site and I want to add an HTML block to the existing Opportunity detail page (for example). The HTML will come from our web site. So I figured I can create a custom component that pulls in the HTML and then insert it into an Opportunity page. But I can't figure out how to do it. I see a lot of information on creating custom VF pages, but I don't want a whole new page, I want to embed (maybe using an IFRAME or something) a block into an existing page.

Can anyone point me into a right direction? It seems like a trivial task but I am obviously missing something.

Thank you in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ron HessRon Hess

you would build a simple visualforce page that holds an iframe.

the Visualforce page should be a standard controller for the opportunity so that it will appear in the page layout editor and can be placed on the opportunity page.

All Answers

Ron HessRon Hess

To build content for a public website, please consider using the Force.com Sites feature, it is designed for just this type of integration.

Sites is in Developer Preview currently.

KostyaKostya

Ron,

Thank you for the quick reply.

What I am looking for is not a public web site type of functionality. I want to have a new "panel" on exsting SF page (like Opportunity Details) that will display content that will come from our (not Salesforce) web site. So the scenario will be as follow:

A SF user opens Opportunity Details page for an opportunity and below all of the regular information s/he will see a block of HTML (that will come from our external web site) with some additional information about this opportunity.

So how do I embed a custom block of HTML into an existing Opportunity Details page? That's what I am looking for.

Thanks again.

Ron HessRon Hess

you would build a simple visualforce page that holds an iframe.

the Visualforce page should be a standard controller for the opportunity so that it will appear in the page layout editor and can be placed on the opportunity page.

This was selected as the best answer
KostyaKostya
Thank you very much, Ron. I knew it was something simple that I was missing. I just didn't realize that pages can be used inside pages... Duh!