function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BrianWKBrianWK 

Embeding Video created from Adobe Captivate

Hey everyone. My company creates training videos using Adobe Captivate. We're currently been posting these to our internal website for clients, but are looking at using the new Sites capability to  increase roll out times.

I know you can embed flash and flex swf videos in a visualforce page, but I'm not sure if I can use this method for Captivate videos. Our tech writer has stated that he can either output a self-extracting .EXE file or a combination of files including an HTM, 3 SWF and a .JS.

I original though I could point to one of the SWF files using apex : flash - but that didn't work. I also tried zipping all 5 files and uploading as a static resource. Then I created a page with an Action coponent like:

action="{!URLFOR($Resource.Training_Video, 'SalesForce_Forecasting.htm')}"

but that doesn't work either.

Has anyone else tried embeding the Captivate videos? How did you do it?

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
XactiumBenXactiumBen

I've not used Captivate videos but I'm sure you should be able to get this sorted.  Try copying all of the html from the HTM file and pasting it into a visualforce page.  Then, upload all of your other files as a static resource.  Finally, look through all of the html in the visualforce page and change everything that tries to reference your SWF or JS files into visualforce static resource references:

example:

{!URLFOR($Resource.Training_Video, 'myJavascript.js')}

You might have to look through your javascript file as well for other references.  If there are any you might have to copy your javascript code into your visualforce page, surrounding it in script tags.

Message Edited by XactiumBen on 06-23-2009 03:46 PM

All Answers

XactiumBenXactiumBen

I've not used Captivate videos but I'm sure you should be able to get this sorted.  Try copying all of the html from the HTM file and pasting it into a visualforce page.  Then, upload all of your other files as a static resource.  Finally, look through all of the html in the visualforce page and change everything that tries to reference your SWF or JS files into visualforce static resource references:

example:

{!URLFOR($Resource.Training_Video, 'myJavascript.js')}

You might have to look through your javascript file as well for other references.  If there are any you might have to copy your javascript code into your visualforce page, surrounding it in script tags.

Message Edited by XactiumBen on 06-23-2009 03:46 PM
This was selected as the best answer
BrianWKBrianWK

XactiumBen,

Thanks for the help. It was acutally a great suggestion. My first attempt of simply copy and pasting the HTM data into the VF page was a failure. I then started playing around and there's a single line in the code that let me do the embedding.

For anyone else out there, The HTML as an 'Embed' tag. Replacing the src=with the URFLFor and putting on that Embed tag in your VF page will display the video.

Fantastic!

JoeHenryJoeHenry
I am trying to do the same thing here with no luck. Can you post a sample of the VF page?
BrianWKBrianWK

Joe,

I ended up having to scrap my page because the Captivate files were too large for a Static Resource (5mb limit indeed!)

However, I believe this is what the line of code was:

<embed src="{!URLFOR($Resource.Training_Video, 'SalesForce_Forecasting_skin.swf')}" width="1199" height="617" loop="0" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" menu="false"></embed>

So I had a static resource that was a zip file titled Training_Video. Within that I called the .SWF file. I'm pretty sure this was the code that worked!

JoeHenryJoeHenry
Thank you much.  What did you do to overcome the 5meg limit?
BrianWKBrianWK

I didn't really do anything to overcome the 5mb limit.

We ended up hosting our videos through our own website. So instead of a SF page that displays the videos, I redirect them to the page being hosted by our servers.

It's disappointing to say the least. The main reason I was hoping to do it through Salesforce was to remove the necessity of having to go through our internal developers to have anything posted. With Salesforce -- assuming you didn't hit the file size or the maximum size limit - I could upload and refer to it in Visualforce and have it available in a matter of minutes. Now days can go by between having the video ready to post and the actual posting.

I was hoping to actually use the embed video option to create our own Help documentation. We're creating a lot of our own functionality with Visualforce and it would've been nice to display videos right in our custom help documentation. I called SFDC about increasing the limit and was told it wasn't one of those restrictions that can be changed upon request. Disappointing.