function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
slaneslane 

Best practices for managing static HTML in Sites?

Hi all:

I have a customer for whom it would seem to make sense to move their existing, mostly static, web site to Sites. The site has about 50 pages that for the sake of argument are purely static HTML/CSS, maybe a little Javascript. It has maybe 8-10 pages that will draw on significant dynamic content. He'd like to be able to edit the static content himself to the extent possible. He is willing and tech-savvy.

Two questions:

1) What's the best way to handle the static HTML pages in Visual Force? Upload and manage as static resources?

2) Any way to let my customer use a tool like Adobe Contribute to edit his static content directly, or can that only be done via the web UI and/or the Force.com IDE?

Thanks in advance for all feedback.

-- SGL

gv007gv007
As per my knowldge you can use adobe flex  .
slaneslane

Hi gv007:

I'm not quite sure what your answer means. Can you expand on how Adobe Flex can help me in this case?

Thanks,

SGL

TehNrdTehNrd

edit: mis-read original post so these comments aren't really releavant

I'm curious why it, "would seem to make sense to move their existing, mostly static, web site to Sites". The sites technology is very cool but where this really shines is with dynamic content that can be driven from the force.com platform. In all honestly unless there is going to be some added value or major cost cutting that you haven't touched upon I'm not sure if there is really any advantage in moving everything to sites. Fifty pages is alot considering most of the sites here, http://developer.force.com/sitesgallery , are fairly simple, yet powerful.

Flex will work for editing the HTML but this will still require some tweaking as you paste the html code into a visualforce apge. The only UI tool to manage pages is the the Force.com Plugin for eclipse.

Message Edited by TehNrd on 07-20-2009 02:41 PM
slaneslane
Sure, I could have provided more detail. All of the key data they need in order to drive their site already exists in their Salesforce installation, or can easily be placed there. The idea is to allow them to edit all their dynamic data in Salesforce, which is a tool they're already quite happy with.
TehNrdTehNrd

And of course I read your initial post too quickly and completely missed the part about dynamice content.

In this case the force.com IDE is may be your best bet. It allows you to directly edit Visualforce/HTML page markup and save directly to salesforce.com servers. It is purely a markup editor and does not display how the page will display aka a wysiwyg editor. You can use a traditional HTML editor to create your HTML and then copy this to a Visualforce page but would require a little tweaking so static resources are imported correctly. Static resources, if they are a single file can also be edited in the IDE such as .css, js, files, etc.

Message Edited by TehNrd on 07-20-2009 02:30 PM
slaneslane

Thanks! I've used the IDE a good bit for Apex. Might work for my tech-savvy customer.

Any thoughts on whether to represent pure HTML pages as VF pages or static resources?

-- SGL

TehNrdTehNrd

I would lean towards VF pages over static resources as they should be easier to manage. You can see the markup in the UI and through the IDE if you use pages. If this content is in a static resource the source is hidden if someone is looking for it in the UI. If there are static pieces of HTML that is reused simply create a VF component.

Also, I'm couldn't figure out how to embed html in a page that is from a static resource as it always only shows the directory of the resource, not the content itself. Not saying this isn't possible but that I couldn't figure it out in the 5 minutes I tried.

I believe statics resources main use is for files like images, js, css, etc.

Message Edited by TehNrd on 07-20-2009 02:58 PM
Nathan CrosbyNathan Crosby

Just out - a Content Management System AppExchange install from AppLabs (free)

CMSForce is a native Force.com content management system that fully integrates with Salesforce and Sites. Your webmaster can define templates that define the look and feel of your website using standard technologies such as html, flash, css etc...

Business users can then use these templates to create/edit pages on your website via WYSIWYG editing.
Included also is a point & click editor that allows you to dynamically define forms to collect information from your web site into any standard or custom object.

Great for landing pages, event registration, web2lead, web2case ...

CMSForce on the AppExchange