function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ggaopggaop 

UI Design Best Practices...

Are there any best practices docs for UI design. I have a project with 30 custom objects.

Is it normal to have an app with 30 tabs?

How do you make a tab for a composite object?

What is the optimal number of tabs per application?

These are some of the questions that come to mind immediately. 

Thanks in advance.

J

MarkSilberMarkSilber

I'll take a quick shot at this.

30 tabs is way too many to show at any one time in Salesforce. Any more than a dozen or so and they could be pushed off the right side of the screen depending on a user's screen resolution.

My rule of thumb for tabs is: tabs are only needed if a user needs direct access to the object or needs to be able to search and display the results of the object (must have a tab to search and display results, even if the tab isn't shown by default). I would imagine that some of the 30 objects represented by tabs are related to other objects and therefore shown on related lists. If that's the case, a tab / direct access shouldn't necessarily be required.

You may want to break up your single application into multiple applications or control tab visibility by profile. Are some of the tabs related to maintenance or related lookup objects that only an Administrator type person would need to see?

I would need to have more information before I could make specific recommendations, but hopefully this is helpful.