function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
James (CloudAnswers)James (CloudAnswers) 

LexiLoader Exited with code: 1

On a newly installed 10.8 mac, I'm trying to run LexiLoader but it quits immediately upon start.  No window is shows, the icon appears in the doc and then goes away within 1 second.  Here is what happens in the console:

From v26:

2/6/13 11:24:50.914 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[217]: ([0x0-0x8a08a].com.pocketsoap.LexiLoader[624]) Exited with code: 1

From v27:

2/6/13 11:26:32.417 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[217]: ([0x0-0x90090].com.pocketsoap.LexiLoader[640]) Exited with code: 1

Java is installed, all updates are installed, Eclipse and PyCharm run fine (maybe not a java problem), security setting for running entrusted apps is set to the lowest setting.

The MD5 is not listed for the downloads, so I can't confirm if I have a good copy of them.  Can anyone list the MD5 of either v26 or v27 here?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 

Here's the line that's causing it:

<string>$JAVAROOT/swt.jar:$JAVAROOT/DataLoader.jar</string>

All Answers

Found the problem, but first the story of how I got there so this post catches anyone else encountering the same error because this took me a long time to troubleshoot:

Downloaded and ran on another computer without issues. The other computer had the same os verion and similar software installed.

Did verify disk permissions in disk utility.

Found out about a quarentine bug, which lexiloader was stamped with a quarantine flag and remove it with this (sudo because JavaApplicationStub is read only for user):
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine LexiLoader*

Tried turning off the quarantine system all together:
defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices LSQuarantine -bool NO

Turned security in System Preference > Security > Allow Applications Downloaded from:
to "Anywhere"

Tried downloading and running from guest account.

Open from terminal to see if I can get more feedback:

$ open LexiLoader_v27.app
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/jsullivan/Downloads/LexiLoader_v27.app.

Open the actual app within the app bundle:
$ /Users/jsullivan/Downloads/LexiLoader_v27.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub ; exit;
[LaunchRunner Error] The main class "com.salesforce.dataloader.process.DataLoaderRunner" could not be found.
[JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exception
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:113)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51)
at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)

So I dug around the plist for the app, and realized that Simon may be using a case insensitive filesystem and these paths may not be the right cases...  I created a DMG with a case insensitive filesystem and put the app in there... and it launched.

That was painful and time consuming, but that's the problem. I run a case sensitive filesystem because I find weirdness with some python and ruby packages and nfs mounts...

The work-aroudn is to run the app from a case insensitive dmg.

SuperfellSuperfell

Wow good sluething, don't think i ever would of found that. I'll update the download version, thanks.

Here's the line that's causing it:

<string>$JAVAROOT/swt.jar:$JAVAROOT/DataLoader.jar</string>

This was selected as the best answer

If LexiLoader was on Github I would have done a pull request.  You have other projects on Github, why not this one?

Also, I'm in SF end of Feb and would like to buy you a beer for maintaining LexiLoader (or coffee or whatever) if you're down.

SuperfellSuperfell

There never seemed enough there to bother putting on github. (its just a repackaging of the jar from the windows version, and is mostly binaries). What I want to do if i ever get time, is update the ant script in the source data loader repo so that it can generate the mac packaged version as well.

I should be around at the end of feb, although i'm ususually only in the SF office once or twice a week, be more than happy to grab a beer or coffee if we can make it work.

I was able to reproduce the problem by running the app from a case sensitive dmg, i fixed the plist and uploaded a new version.