function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CAISFDCCAISFDC 

Visualforce form

Hello All,

I would like to create a pop up form in Visualforce?  I am new to any development in Salesforce.  Can anyone assist me with how I would do that?  Is this the best tool to use to create this pop up form? 

Thanks,

Wendi

ShikibuShikibu

Popups are not easy to do (generally requires an external javascript library). If you are brand new to Visual Force, I would suggest figuring out a different approach to this project.

But if you're feeling especially ambitious, have a look here.

Cool_DevloperCool_Devloper

Where from is this pop-up form being called?

Cool_D

sfdcfoxsfdcfox
You could create two Visualforce pages, and have them refer to each other. I've never personally done this, but it seems to me that you could use window.open in the first page to pass parameters to the second, and when it finishes doing what it has to do, the popup could refer to window.opener to get a handle to the first page. I do know that this is how Salesforce achieves their lookup window functionality, but beyond that the details are rather sketchy.
CAISFDCCAISFDC

Hi Cool D,

We have 4 forms in a related list that are not visible when the Opportunity is being edited.  An Opportunity can't be saved until the Opportunity Development Form is completed.  So there is alot of back and forth, opening new windows etc.  If you have any additional ideas other than Visualforce please let me know that too.

Thanks,

Wendi

ShikibuShikibu
I've just been working on a customized interface for some of our users who had a similar problem. I have put together a vf page that has the main record in a pageblock at top, with related info and detail info in a tabpanel just below, and a bit of javascript that does some intelligent switching of tabs as user enters data.
Cool_DevloperCool_Devloper

Wendi,

There are not too many options to build pop-ups in salesforce as of now. (S-Controls or VisualForce)

I would say, VisualForce is still the most reliable and easy way of doing it. And as shikibu said, you need to use it intelligently :)

I am sure it would not be a big issue! Wish you luck :)

Cool_D