function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ron-LONRon-LON 

Prepopulating Standard object pages from Visualforce (Wizard)

Hi,

I'm trying to avoid building a Visualforce page for something where the regular Salesforce pages would ordinarily work fine.

I start out a simple wizard with a VF page with a few Account fields.  I want to then create a child record in Meeting_Notes__c and I want the Account__c field filled in and the rest blank for editing.

I thought the following excerpt should work to achieve this, meaning create a new Meeting_Note__c in the controller, add Account.Id, and then pass it to the page reference.

Instead of bringing up a new Meeting_Notes__c page, it's bringing up the Account page.  I know I can solve this easily by marking up the entire page in Visualforce but I feel that if the page is already good without using VF, to not use VF.

Is there some little tiny mistake I'm making?

public PageReference next() {

Meeting_Note__c mn = new Meeting_Note__c(Account__c = acct.Id);	

PageReference mnPage = new ApexPages.StandardController(mn).edit();
		mnPage.setRedirect(true);
		return mnPage; 

AvromAvrom

Until a record is saved, it doesn't have an edit page. The following worked for me (note the call to save()):

public PageReference next() {
Meeting_Note__c mn = new Meeting_Note__c(Account__c = acct.Id);
ApexPages.StandardController sc = new ApexPages.StandardController(mn);
sc.save();
PageReference mnPage = sc.edit();
mnPage.setRedirect(true);
return mnPage;
}

Ron-LONRon-LON

I was afraid of that actually.  I really just want to put them on a new record page with whatever values I decide to pass prepopulated, and leave it up to the user as to whether they hit save or if they decide to cancel.

I'm afraid if I hit save, with only the one or two prepopulated values, that Workflow will kick off which shouldn't happen till all required fields are filled in.

AvromAvrom

To my knowledge, there isn't a way to do that with a standard New page; you'd need to create a VF page for the new record as well.