function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RickoT1031RickoT1031 

Pass value to controller using Javascript in Visual Force

So, I am trying to start recycling my visual force pages/controllers by passing values in the URL string to determine some of the basic info in my cases instead of having individual pages/controllers for each circumstance.  I have my javascript that reads the URL and I have my controller making the changes on the back end for each circumstance, now I have to connect the two but I am having a bit of a difficult time... any suggestions?

VF Javascript Code

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> var GETDATA = new Array(); var sGet = window.location.search; if (sGet) { sGet = sGet.substr(1); var sNVPairs = sGet.split("&"); for (var i = 0; i < sNVPairs.length; i++) { var sNV = sNVPairs[i].split("="); var sName = sNV[0]; var sValue = sNV[1]; GETDATA[sName] = sValue; } } if (GETDATA["PageConfigName"] != undefined){{!PageConfigName} = GETDATA["PageConfigName"];} </SCRIPT>

Apex Controller getter/setter code (not complicated lol)

public String PageConfigName{set;get;}

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
TehNrdTehNrd

What's the URL look like? You might be able to get these values directly to Apex with no javascript.

na3.salesforce.com/mypage?id=asdfasdf&name=John

Id objectId = ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id');
String firstName = ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('name');

-Jason
Message Edited by TehNrd on 03-10-2010 03:41 PM

All Answers

TehNrdTehNrd

What's the URL look like? You might be able to get these values directly to Apex with no javascript.

na3.salesforce.com/mypage?id=asdfasdf&name=John

Id objectId = ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id');
String firstName = ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('name');

-Jason
Message Edited by TehNrd on 03-10-2010 03:41 PM
This was selected as the best answer
RickoT1031RickoT1031

Thank you very much, that worked perfectly and is exactly what I was hoping for. I knew there had to be a way to do this without using javascript.  You just saved me a ton of time and code.

Thanks!

TehNrdTehNrd
No prob, glad to help.